• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best Hunting in MN

TMauer14

Where are some good spots for property in Minnesota?

We have 280 Acres in Northwestern Wisconsin and are thinking about relocating. Where are some good spots to look in Minnesota for Whitetail hunting?

Any help or tips are greatly appreciated!

-Travis

I'd recommend my area, however, if I knew what I knew then etc. I'd select southern zone 1 I'll call it, a 16 day rifle season followed by 16 more muzzleloader days 3 deer area this last year so it is there I'd recommend and it's farm country zone 1 really in that southern zone 1 why the decent deer numbers and permits. Also if they foolishly move the rifle hunt back you'll be in a touch warmer country than lets say zone 1 hugging the Canadian border and you'd be only an hour from the metro.

Travis, this is a pretty sensitive subject for many people here. There are large tracts of Minnesota land where the deer herd seems to be really struggling.

Honestly, if I had 280 acres in Wisconsin I'm not sure I'd sell it if I was down to my last penny.

Hunting land really isn't "cheap" anywhere that I know of. I've seen peat bog/jackpine swamp selling for $1000.00 per acre! That's silly. I can't even imagine what a nice combination of hardwood/tillable land would sell for?

I've told folks before, if you're really interested in buying good hunting land, central North Dakota is the place to look. A couple hundred acres of cattail sloughs and wet ground will sell for $500-$700 per acre, and you'll have white-tails, pheasants, sharptails, Hungarian partridge, and ducks and geese coming out your ears!

People also want easy, they shouldn't because that lowers the trophy buck potential of the land, I have an 80 listed at 84,900 and has been on the market for like 4 years now in Ottertail County with 0 offers so there's land out there. Creek runs through it the 1/2 mile, lots of tamarac,willow,grass,cattail and a nice sized poplar,birch,ash, highground where the bucks scrape like crazy, 1 scrape can mean 15 bucks thanks to my t-cam has been the biggest piece of info ever, used to think 1 buck and the others wouldn't dare go near it, wrong. Only had 9 bucks at the scrape last year, anyway, there's stuff out there in places, but most want easy or ease, they want to build a cabin, they want 4 wheeler access, they want heated stands, etc. Well that isn't gonna happen most likely on this 80 but the hunting is very good and it is a top top area for muzzleloading, they move the rifle season back and I'm keeping it as they winter heavy in there and move in thick once things start to freeze, good luck.

Land anywhere can be good if its the "right land"... Id say you could kill more mature bucks off the right 40 in western WI in a season than you could on most 320's in MN in a lifetime. But again... that's the RIGHT 40.

Are you gonna sell your 280? How much you thinking your going to pay? How many acres you want? You want the opportunity at trophy bucks or just shooting deer? How many people are going to be hunting it? DO you have equipment, money, or manpower to improve land to make it better?

There's more than one way to skin the cat! wink

I would spend a great deal of time getting caught up on MN deer politics before you buy land here.  The DNR is quickly working their CWD plan across an ever growing swat of land.  You don't want to buy land some place you think has great deer hunting, and then suddenly end up in an eradication zone like SE MN.  You could see your land dollars go up in smoke with a single press release from the Destroyers of Natural Resources.  

I'm curious why you'd want to leave 280 acres of land in WI.  What's the hunting like on that land?

Seems to me it would be easier to build that land up into a deer heaven than it would be to track down land in MN that would offer better hunting.  Unless there is some other reason why you want to sell I'd think long and hard about keeping the land and maybe instead invest in bringing in someone that can help improve the land for deer.  

If I were to buy land in MN I would seriously consider buying a smaller property within the metro area or maybe in or around Duluth that is bow only.  I hunt land like that now and its great.  There is very little hunting pressure, bucks are allowed to get big, I rarely go 2 days in a row without seeing deer, and once rifle season starts all the deer flood into this land to escape the orange army. I just sit there and wait for them with my bow. 

I feel like 20-40 acres within city limits could also end up being a better investment down the road.  100 acres out in the sticks will really only be marketable to other hunters where as acreage within the city is going to be desirable to a lot of folks and only getting more desirable.  Of course you'll pay more per acre for that land because of that. 

10 hours ago, Paradice said:

I would spend a great deal of time getting caught up on MN deer politics before you buy land here.  The DNR is quickly working their CWD plan across an ever growing swat of land.  You don't want to buy land some place you think has great deer hunting, and then suddenly end up in an eradication zone like SE MN.  You could see your land dollars go up in smoke with a single press release from the Destroyers of Natural Resources.  

Make sure your land is nowhere near any deer farms.    Deer farms spread CWD.

On 1/26/2014 at 8:40 PM, TMauer14 said:

Where are some good spots for property in Minnesota?

We have 280 Acres in Northwestern Wisconsin and are thinking about relocating. Where are some good spots to look in Minnesota for Whitetail hunting?

Any help or tips are greatly appreciated!

-Travis

Guys the OP post is from 2014 which I would think he has already made a change by now.  His last post on his profile says Never on it so I'm sure we're not going to hear what his out come was?  This post was restarted by a Bot more then likely.