• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

worming thee bass

A beginner at fishing plastics.
How do you really fish a Carolina rig or a Texas Rig? (I know a little how smile.gif)
Any replies would be very appreciated.

Well. You bring your rod back...throw it forward and your lure will go flying...then you reel it in nice n slow and fast when it tugs.
Hey j/k but really it is quite simple. If you know the rigs already, set em up, and cast to edges in the weeds, typically 8 feet deep and deeper. If you don't know how to set up the rig your local sporting goods store would gladly rig one up for you to teach you how. Stop n go works best usually. Keep taught line and be ready to set the hook!

A Carolina rig is great for covering water and finding fish. It is also very useful in telling you about the bottom of the lake. The best retrieve is simply slowly dragging the rig along the bottom, with occasional pauses. With the sinker dragging along the bottom, you can tell if you are on weeds, rock, mud, or gravel. You can learn a lot about a spot and can find the "spot on the spot", areas on the spot that hold fish and are key areas to cover. The bait on the Carolina rig slowly glides, floats, sinks slowly, and is a very natural presentation.

A Texas rig works great for probing heavy cover whether it be weeds, wood, rock, etc. There are many different retrieves, the most popular is the hopping retrieve. Lift and drop the bait along the bottom keeping your line taught but not exactly tight. You want to watch your line for any twitch, hop, sideways movement, anything out of the ordinary that will signal a bite. Often, you will not feel the bite but if you do it is usually just a small tap.
Good luck!

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com

Thanks for the replies the Next time I go out ill have to this stuff and see if i can get the hang of it. I normally fish a weedy mucky lake with a rock pile and a few gravel drop offs with weeds. It should work good there.

------------------
Eat, Sleep, and FISH all day!

Adam,BassM or BassP,or anybody, What's your favorite plastic to put on a carolina,and how long a leader? Also, do you cast it or pull it. ( Not the same as trolling -- that would be walleye fishing.)

I like to use the Berkley Power Tube, with a ten to 18" leader. Until you get a feel for the leader length try using a MO JO rig, this is a slip weight with a rubber stopper that can be easily adjusted.

I've had success with the french fry style.

And don't tell anyone this, but also on straight power worms rigged on spinner worm harnesses that the walleye guys use.

Hey Basspastor, that is a know tactic. In June, I down sized to a French fry to fish for deep Bass. All I got was BIG Walleye. Hasn't worked well since the middle of June, but it's something to think about when the water cools off.

Jo

For leader length I typically use a 18" to 24" leader. I will go shorter if the bite is slow or longer if I need to float over weeds, or if the fish are suspended.

Millennium Lures Lizards work great all year. Centipedes work well if the bite is slow, especially during summer. Baby brush hogs work well too if the fish are feeding on crayfish.

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com

[This message has been edited by Adam Johnson (edited 08-06-2002).]

another thing you can try is a split-shot rig. basically, its a smaller version of the carolina rig. the leader length can be adjusted by moving the split shot up or down the line. i have had a lot of success using this rig when the fish want a slow gliding motion. i like to use it on flats with scattered weed clumps.