• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Arctic Cat 400 Shifter Problem

motley man

My 2003 Arctic Cat 400 shifter is giving me problems of not going in gear or hard to get it in gear. Sometimes it does not go into reverse, and is hard to shift. Is this a linkage problem, and does anyone have a way to fix it. Is it out of adjustment or is cable bad?

Is this a new problem or has it been occurring since you got the machine?

linkage or idle adjustment would be my first guess followed by just the nature of the design. Some machines were just plain tough to get into gear. The first year of the Suzuki Vinson was a good example.

My 2006 Arctic Cat 400 sometimes is stubborn on shifting. I have found that it is much easier to shift after it has warmed up.

Another thing is to make sure that the idle speed is not too high. Mine has a idle speed adjustment knob on a short cable on the carb, I sometimes speed it up to help it warm up, then forget to slow it back down. After I slow it down it shifts easily.

Does it grind when trying to go into gear? My guess is idle speed too high. Otherwise you can adjust the linkage it should be a jam nut but just keep track of which way you adjust it and how much in case you go in the wrong direction.

My money is on idle speed though. You should see a black plastic knob connected to a tube on the carb. Turnung this slightly while its running will adjust the idle speed. Turn counterclockwise I believe to lower idle.

If Motley Man doesn't mind me jumping in here, all I can say is that I use the factory recommended Arctic Cat brand oil, for whatever it's worth. I regularly have to shift into L, then back to neutral, or H gear, to, get it to line up with the shift indicator lights on the console, especially after I have shifted into reverse, while plowing the driveway. I usually plow with it in 4x4. I'm thinking it may be a shifter linkage issue, but wanted to see the replies here before I start doing anything to it. I have had mine since brand new, and the issue started a couple of years ago.

I recently picked up a used Polaris.First thing I looked for was a factory manual.None available so I bought a clymer manual.Looking at online cat adjustments there are shift control adjustments.Maybe its time for a manual??

we've got an '06 AC 400 that had a shifting problem. it was the linkage itself. if you look on the left side you can see the metal bar that goes from the gear lever back to the trans. that bar is too small in these and it bends. our dealer just welded a reinforcement to it.

I have a 2005 Arctic Cat 400 4wd. Mine is sometimes difficult to switch from Forward to Reverse or vise versa. Also when I go out across the yard and shift into 2nd or 3rd gear the shifter sticks. I doesn't release allowing it to shift into a higher gear basically putting it into neutral. Any thoughts on causes?

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Welcome to FM @Snoop 9114.

A lot of knowledgeable folks here.

Someone may just give you a hand.

Let us know how it goes. Don't be a stranger. Stop in and share your pics and stories.