• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

fav. lure in weedy lakes

Whats your favorite bass lure to fish in the weeds?

Mine is a frog, it is fun to see the bass explode out of the weeds to get a frog.

It depends upon the type of weeds, but there are three main type of lures I like to use. For lilly pads, I love to use a soft plastic worm with no weight and drag it across the top of them, pausing when I get to an opening in the pads. For most other types of submerged vegetation, I'll use a top water plug when the weeds are fairly close under the surface (but not visible on top) or I'll use a spinner and drag it right through them.

I would have to say that my fav. lure to use in weeds is a Popper or top water of some sort(frog). But that's for weeds just a little bit below the surface. Spinner baits are also an excellent way to go.

Nitro

I am a big fan of plastics such as frogs & lizards & leaches for the lily pads. I have an old hula popper that is great for top water action. I usually pull out that bad boy for my early morning excursions.

Otherwise just throw a spinner and pray!

DJFISH

I like to use texas rigged plastics on the weedlines. I also use jig and pigs in openings and pockets in the weeds. Using a spinnerbait so that it hits the weedtops allows the blades to flutter and creates strikes also.

Hey bass slayer, what's a jig and pig anyway...I always hear about them, but I don't know what the heck they are (self taught bass fisherman).

------------------
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.

Jig and Pig is a skirted jig with a weedguard(northland jungle jig,millenium jigs),pig refers to the trailer , used to be that most guys used pork frogs as a trailer(hence the "pig")now days there are many plastic trailers to use that are as good or better than pork-they dont dry out or impede your hook set like pork can do. Excellent big bass bait,you should try them.

What exactly is a jig and pig anyway, I always hear that term, but I have no idea of what it actually is.

------------------

Thanks basser, I actually already do use a jig and a pig, I just didn't realize that's what it was called. And you're right, I've caught many bass on that type of rig.

------------------