• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sight fishing bass

Does anyone know how to sight fish for bass or just what lures work the best. I was out today and around 8 A.M. and managed to get a 4 and 5 pounders and a lot of smaller ones, we were using plactic worms but it didnt seem to make them strike often. I was wondering if there is a certain bait to use to fish bass this way?

A 6" lizard texas rigged with a small bullet weight is probably one of the #1 rigs for sight fishing for bass. You will be ALOT more successful if you can cast to a fish BEFORE he sees you. The only problem is that by the time you see them, they usually can see you already. Make sure you got good polarized sunglasses and try to get yourself as high off the water as possible (you can see ALOT farther) One technique I have found to be quit productive is to scout out a small area that seems to have a few larger bass swimin around and bedding. Come back to that area, but stay far off the spot and work it with your lizard. The key is getting the lure there without the bass seeing you. Me and a friend on opener got a 21.5" bass, 20" bass, 19" bass, 2 18" bass and several around 17" using this technique while no one else on the lake caught anything. We had scouted out a nice inside weedline loaded with beds in about 3-7' of water. We stayed in 10+ and casted in at random draggin the lizard near beds even though we couldn't see them. We caught fish right behind people working the same stretch; they were on the beds, we were outside of them. Sometimes pitchin a jig n craw 3/8 oz and smaller will get em too. Especially when they are on the high contrast easy to see beds and you can spot cast.

Top water,
A Texas rigged lizard like Ice Hole said is one great technique for bedding bass, another is a worm rigged either wacky style or rigged on a jighead. Millennium Lures makes some great plastic worms and lizards. Use fairly light line if you can and cast past the beds, not on top of them. then slowly drag the bait into the bed and work it very slowly until you can make the fish mad enough to bite. It can take a long time to get a bass to bite or to take it in enough to get the hook. Be patient, if the fish does not leave the bed when the bait gets there, you can make it bite most of the time.
Hope this helps you out. Good luck!

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com