• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mr. Heater problems...again?

Monkster

I just bought a Mr. Heater Hunting Buddy (camo, 12,000 btu's). It worked great first time out. Second time out, last Friday, it would run fine for 15-20 minutes, then quit. Switched the 1 pound tank I was using (couple times), no luck. Put it in the truck to warm up, it worked again for about 15 minutes, then quit again. It looks like the pilot goes out thus closing the thermo-couple?? I love the portability of the heater, but this was a pain in the you know what and even though it was nice out (too nice!), it ruins the night a bit for me!

My plan is to return to FF and get another and try again.

Any ideas and or similar problems?

I had that problem when my Portable Buddy was about 3 years old and a good cleaning of the pilot as described on a video took care of it. I run off a 20# tank with a filter. I have also found that just a very slight bump will shut mine off. But if yours is new, it shouldn't have that problem after just one use. I'd take it back and exchange it.

I know with mine, if I evem move it a tad, it will go out.

I would guess the thermo couple may be bad but I would not think that since it is so new.

I had an older Buddy that would do this and here is what I did to cure it.

One could try to bend the thermo couple closer to the pilot flame as it may not be getting enough flame to keep the t couple from kicking out, or lighly clean the thermo couple. All else fail's replace the thermo couple.

As mentioned above, the pilot could be a bit dirty and a good cleaning could give one a better flame to heat the T couple up.

I would clean the pilot first and if that does not cure the issue, then I would look further to the thermo couple.

For one this new, I would return it for a new one.

Return it and get a sunflower. This forum is full of guys with issues with those buddy heaters. I've been part of many outings with folks that have them. They are a total hunk of junk. The concept is far too complex for the actual construction of the unit. I would not risk my trip with one of those being my only source of heat.

I've used the big buddy for about six years. The only problems I have are pilot doesn't light burner very well and last year it took a beating in the portable behind my snowmobile. I broke some of the plastic panels which I may replace right now duct tape is working well to hold it all together.

Buddy heaters are great when they are taken very well care of. They can be very finicky. I like my portable buddy for my 1 man clam. but for my bigger portable Otter I like the tried and true Sunflower.

I think that may be the secret: well taken care of. When my portable buddy is not being used, especially when stored over the summer, I keep it in a big plastic bag closed up with a tie wrap. And the end of the hose that connects to my 20# tank is also kept covered with a plastic bag and rubber band. Finally, I have a filter at the heater end of the hose whether it needs it or not and I change the filter every other year whether it needs it or not. I started having problems with it not staying lit a couple years ago and cleaned the pilot tube and that took care of it; so now cleaning the pilot tube is part of what I do every year too. Mine is five years old.

Of the 5 Buddies I have at home (1 Big, 4 regular) only 2 work. Anyone ever replace the ceramic element in a buddy heater? I have a brand new one that worked great for about 5 minutes. Then it was knocked off its perch and hit the ice, broke the element. I can order a replacement element online, but I cant really see how its replaced.

One of the biggest probs for my Big Buddie is any little breeze will blow out the pilot. As long as I can keep it calm I have no problems, stayed warm the other day when that wind and snow hit with just a vest and quilted shirt.

Yes I've had problems with Hunting Buddy too, took em back.

I got 2 portable Buddys, 1 is from 1st year they came out, both work mint always have. 1 lil Buddy works mint. Also 2 sunflowers ,1 old 1 new, old one works great, new one is ok. I've seen and heard of other having troubles with there heaters though.

They could be some improvement in quality control over at Mr Heater.