• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Windows for the fish house

walleyeking19

I have 2 windows on the wheel house and in the cold the window cracked while i was opening it up. So i decided I want to get some new ones that wont freeze shut all the time. Any suggestions on the type of windows I should get? Do some not freeze up if I leave it for a while?

Thanks!

I've used every kind of window imaginable. I have yet to find one that doesn't freeze up somewhat. My latest house has thermal pane chrestline windows. They're better than a single pane window, but they still freeze shut. Moisture is a natural byproduct of burning lp. Add that to the moisture given off by 3-4 people in a small area, and frozen windows is what you get.

I don't know if you'll be able to get away from condensation/frost/freezing, regardless of your windows. I have regular vinyl house windows in my house. They are good to around 0 and then they start to frost up. You are sitting over open holes, and most furnaces will melt the ice/snow around the holes, increasing humidity levels.

The best thing you can do is use a vented heater/furnace. If you have an unvented furnace, nothing you do will matter. Those things put off massive amounts of moisture.

If you are cooking, run your range vent or crack a window. This is a huge source of humidity. I run my range vent for about a half hour, two or three times per day. It reduces my humidity level by as much as 10%.

Use a fan to circulate the air.

I just ordered a small dehumidifier to run in the house. They use very little power, and I run the generator almost 24/7 anyways. I average about 60-70% humidity levels, which is extremely high, but likely average for a fish house. I'm hoping to get closer to 40-50% with the dehumidifier.