• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris Boot Repair?

pickerel hunter

I have a Polaris Sportsman 2004 1/2 500. My question is has anyone ever had to replace a cv boot? How difficult of job is this or should I bring it in and let my dealership do it? I am fairly handi as a mechanic but if I need special tools and such forget it. Any suggestions or somments appreciated.

I have to do this on my 250 that I use for plowing. In the first step in the manual it tells you to use a coil spring compressor, which I do not have. I am going to check with a buddy to see if he has one. Where are you located at?

Can't give you advice on a Polaris, but I replaced some boots on my Honda and I had the same questions.

I did not need special tools, except for the band tool that fastens the metal band over the boot to the axle. I used C clamps instead, so far it's worked well. I break boots all the time... smile.gif

I had difficulty with removing the ball joint. A mechanic said to pound the heck out of it....tried it, didn't work for me, so I went around that by disconnecting the A-arms from the frame. It wasn't that bad of a job after I figured it out.

I've replace several cv boots on all makes of machines, by far polaris is more difficult. Depending on which boot need replacing. If it is a rear boot. You don't remove the axle completely. If you can get the cv bearin off the axle shaft. there is a special pliers for the band but a flat nose pliers with work. It's getting the cv bearing off that's the bear. The clip that holds is all together is in the middle of the in bearing race. and it can be a bear to get it off. It does usually take me 1 1/2 to do just the outer cv boot on the rear. fronts are easier to get out of the hub, but it can be a pain to get it out of the strut. Oh also it usually takes the slide hammer and polaris special tools that attach to the axle to get it out of the hub..

For the guy with the honda that tears boots, use a ply bar, pry between the a arm and spindle and hit the a arm with your hammer on the the cast part of it. it will pop right out. usually take a few good smacks though.

------------------
ride safe, wear a helmut, stupid hurts

If you get'em serviced, wash'em first.