• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How much do you tip fishing guides?

dae06

I've seen a lot of different opinions throughout the country, but what is customary in this neck of the woods. Some people say if the guide is self employed, no tip is necessary because he sets his rates based on what he needs to make a living. If the guide works for someone (like restaurant servers do) tip them 10%-20% based on their performance, the amount they teach you and effort spent to make your day memorable. Maybe a little extra with for a trophy fish, etc.

What are everyones opinion on this site?

If he sits in a spot all day and you don't catch many fish I would say very little. If he keeps you on the move finding fish and teaching you as he goes, a decent tip is deserved. Base it on what you think. If you feel accomplished at the end of the trip he gets a good tip. If you feel you didn't get your moneys worth than a tip is out of the question for me.

I hired an ice fishing guide last year for my dad and I. He took us to one spot and we hammered walleyes all morning. I also caught a trophy pike at 42.25". We also left early cause we had our limit and a bad winter storm was coming. I tipped over 30%. Told us about the history of the lake and a bunch of hunting and fishing stories. Would recommend this guide to anyone.

I hired an ice fishing guide last year for my dad and I. He took us to one spot and we hammered walleyes all morning. I also caught a trophy pike at 42.25". We also left early cause we had our limit and a bad winter storm was coming. I tipped over 30%. Told us about the history of the lake and a bunch of hunting and fishing stories. Would recommend this guide to anyone.

From your post it kind of sounds like the outcome of your day (catching a limit of walleye and a trophy pike) influenced your tip. Would you have tipped 'over 30%' if you had a bad catch rate and no trophy fish, but the guide tried to get you on fish (i.e. moved around a lot trying to find em?

Just curious...

Being in the business, I find it a point to hopefully teach new things every trip out. Wether on ice or open water I like to include all "my experiences and opinions" and share them. Fishing is important but honestly I think it's more important to teach. Fish seem to always come but at the end of the day it nice to hear a thank you from a client about something they learned. Most our business is from repeat customers for good reason, because they become more than just a "client" they become a "friend". After a guided day with all the expenses we don't make a killing, so it is nice to get tipped. GooD FiShN!

It should not matter if a guide works for other or is on his own. We tip much on service. ( Did the guide teach or show you something,that may help you catch fish? Did you enjoy yourself? the guide can not make fish bite your hook. You are dealing with nature.) If you go out to eat why would you tip the waitress or waiter? They agreed to work for the wages they get. We tip service, some people don't tip at all no matter what. If you were to tip your guide well, your next time out you may even get even better service.

When I take people on guide trips, I try all I can to get them on biting fish, show them anything that may aid them if or when they go fishing for themselves.

I have had a fishing trip with 3 clients, two of the three caught fish after fish. I spent most every minute trying to get the third person to get a fish without me setting the hook then just hand them a rod. After over two plus hours, they finally got a fish. I was changing baits, rods, even the technic of fishing. We got to be good friends, I would take a day off my normal job to bring these people again, cause by the time we ended everyone was catching fish.

I taught one lady how cast a spinning reel and rod, she really enjoyed herself, as the next day her hubby spent over $200.00 getting her set up with her own equipment. She now has bought her own boat, motor and trailer. We still fish together on trips, she wants to become better at catching many different kinds of fish.