• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

FOX News ATV report

Dave

Last night was the 1st part of a report about the dangers of riding an ATV. If you say it, maybe we can discuss it.

The troubleing part I saw is not enough people aare taking the rider safety course. Many OEMs even pay the person to attend one.

One troubling view I saw was when a youth (about 14 year old I believe)who only drove an ATV two times said he wasn't aware that the machine could tip over and roll on top of him. The kid's alive but will need a long time to recooperate from a broken pelvis. WHERE were the parents when it came time to reviewing the rules and what dangers the kid could face??????

The second part of the report is on tonight.

I saw the report but won't see the one tonight. It amazes me the things people do. (sarcasm) I think there should be a few more warning labels on ATVs, just like mac-n-dons should label their coffee as "HOT". It angers me to no end, the lack of common sense some people have. I think people forget that it is NOT a toy and it is a machine that is capable of killing you, it deserves respect. Some parents should take far more responsibility than they do, an ATV is not a babysitter.

This topic really gets to me. I realize that accidents happen, but wish they were a lot fewer. This topic can go way far and beyond ATV's too. A little common sense goes a long way.

Did you happen to see the two accidents that happened while they were there shooting, one rolled over and crushed this guys helmet he is lucky to be walking around, and the other one threw this woman off and knocked the wind out of her. I know one thing they said was how the number of accidents has doubled over the years but they said nothing on how the number of machines has proabled tripled over the same period of time. My two cents on this is slow down enjoy the ride.ALWAYS wear a helmut, and take a safty class they don't cost that much. I know I took one when I first bought mine and I was 43 at the time and there wasn't anyone there younger than 30. This is going to be a touchy subject. Good luck

I would have to agree with spin dry, way to many people try to ride these ATV's like they see on the television when they really are not even close to that skill level.

I have been on and around ATV since the late 70's, been waiting for a chance to take the DNR safety trainers coarse but most are way out of town.I would love to help these people learn to ride with in thier skill level.

The machines coming out now are safe machines, but as it is with everything they are only as safe as the operator.
A 700 lbs machine going over 60 mph with only 4 tiny patches of rubber to grab earth in a panic stop will run right over a person or send the operator sailing through the air like a rag doll if they hit head on with some thing.

Even at the skill level I am at, these big bore 4x4 machines demand my respect.They are big heavy,fast machines.

Dave, do you know if they will reair the shows?I missed both of them, to busy doing other things that early in the night.

Benny

I would doubt they'll reair the reports. The second report showed an actual rollover using a dummy mounted in the rider position.

Yup, a couple incident s in while filming the show happenened. The filming took place up in the Gilbert OHV park. Even though the reports highlighted the dangers of ATVing and maybe fueled some anti's into saying "see, see, it's too dangerous", I hope the reports do open the eyes, and brains, of some riders and all parents.

I seen the second half last night. It didn't take much to roll that machine. Dave I was thinking about what you said about the companys paying to attend class. But they only pay for the owner, so the parent goes because he is the owner and never takes the kids. They paid for me to attend, so I took the money and sent my kids, but like Benny said I had to drive way out of my area to get to one. Maybe this show will help get more classes in a wider area, I kinda dout it with all the budget cuts. I think the anti's are really giong to hammer us with this especially with new trails. Good luck

No, it doesn't take much to roll a machine. Now, trying to use some logical sense, why would a parent just go to the safety class if they intended for the kids to use the machine as well? A reasonable parent would put the kid's safety in front of their own, such as you did Spindry. And, the DNR saftey program MAY be different than the OEM safety program, I'm not sure.

The pay the OEMs gives are meant to be reimbursement, for the gas and time to go. Yes, a little extra $$ for an incentive too. Also, are the "kids" taking the training legally of age to ride that size machine, too? Those are some things an OEM has to determine before agreeing to send cash for a family of say, five, to go to training. Soem of the training "needs" should be placed on the parents, which I think is right.