• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cabs on ATV's? What's your opinion?

Moose-Hunter

Howdy All...

Last winter I was able to try out an ATV with a "cab". It was made from a frame of tubing and a nylon (?) cover. Clear plastic windows and zip up doors. Driving the mile or so out to the ice house in -10 temps was a pleasure.

I'd really like to look closer at these gizmos, but have reservations as far as the safety factor. We all know that no ice is 100% safe, right? So what if you're all wrapped up in your 500cc cocoon and SPLASH!!! Seem to me you'd end up in Davey Jones's locker in a big hurry.

I like tha concept, but not the "escape factor". Maybe a nice tall windshield and a set of Carharts are the way to go...

What do you think?

------------------
M-H (aka: Dan)

You know, one of the reasons I purchased an ATV was due to my hesitance to baha across a lake (or even put down an ice road) in the winter. I liked the idea of less weight, and I could jump off (maybe) in an emergency. I think the cab would just take you down with the machine. However, man would it feel nice on a sub-zero day.

------------------
Ray Esboldt

Catch-N Tackle
MarCum
Stone Legacy

As far as the safety of the cab goes, I never much thought of that but you could leave the a side door unzipped if you wanted to.

The other down side to a cab is if you trailer your wheeler to the lake you might want to take it off when you are traveling because they are not made to withstand the high speeds. If you leave your wheeler at a cabin and just use it for fishing and maybe plowing then I think they are usefull. They go on and off relitively easy with 4 U-Bolts but I think that this is still a hassle.

I actually have a used one that I would sell you cheap if you decide that this is the thing for you. My wheeler that I bought used came with one and the 1st thing I did was take it off because I knew it was not the thing for me because I trailer a lot. If I had a cabin and just left it there in the winter then I would probably keep it.
Dave

By the way if you are interested in the cab, I live pretty close to you in Belle Plaine.

Hi Ray....

I'm with you on the "less weight" deal. That's the reason I use my sled, and now, my ATV to travel the frozen tundra. My "lightest" truck weighs in at close to 7000 pounds and the sled or ATV, even fully loaded, not even a grand. BUT.... when it'd REAL cold.... cabs do feel great!!

Hey Big Dave2....

I do trailer a lot, but would still like to take a peek at that cab you have. Drop me an email.... moosehunter at earthlink dot net.

Talk to you soon....

------------------
M-H (aka: Dan)