• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hey Sledhead!! Couple questions for ya...

Moose-Hunter

First... I've heard of a service bulletin in regards to cold weather starting of Polaris twins. It's a carb mod of some sort. My 700 seems a bit cold blooded in the mornings up at the cabin when temps were in the upper 30's. At times, I need FULL choke and a ton of cranking to get her to fire. When the temps are warmer, no problems at all. A blip of the starter and we get fire. What do you know about this and is it really a freebe from the dealers? Cause I need it!!

Second... I have a trip out west planned for this fall and the outfitter has told me that I should "re-clutch for high altitude". On a two stroke I can see it, but a four stroke? What does this mean and how does it affect my warranty?

Other than the intermittant cold weather starting deal, my 700 is running perfect. Plenty of power and no other problems to speak of. I'm rolling up on a regular maintenance call and would like to get these other things taken care of at the same time if possible. After I get the "skinney" from you on these other two things, I'll call and set up an appointment.

Thanks....

------------------
M-H (aka: Dan)

I aam guessing he is meaning to reclutch just like you have to do on a sled when you go out west. It invloves changing the clutch weights and the spring. The clutches use don the Polaris machines are just like on their sleds. Hope this helps

I haven't had to deal with re-clutching a polaris atv for high alt. Your best bet would to find a dealer out west and find out what you need. As far a cold weather starting there is a carb update for cold start and hesitation of idle. I have done it on only one 600. It requires a new mainjet needle and needle jet and adjustments to the fuel mixture. I do believe polaris will pay for it but the boss man needs to get autho'ed from polaris to do it. I also believe yours can get the vent line update to. Call and talk to scott or troy, they'll tell ya in more detail. If polaris will take care of the updates we can get the parts ordered before your service work and do it all at once. Now I do know that the vent lines were on back order and I just got one for another 700 so that onw could take a while but who knows.

sledhead

------------------
ride safe, wear a helmut, stupid hurts

If you get'em serviced, wash'em first.

moosehunter
you can solve your lean condition when it's cold out by increasing pilot jet 1 size and lowering your c-clip on your needle 1 position.
as for your clutching if you install a steeper helix and tighten up your secondary clutch spring 1 position this will keep your rpm's were they need to be as you climb in elevation.

it matters not 2 or 4 stroke as you climb in elevation the air gets thinner, less air= less power.. but it's still getting the same amount of fuel, so the motor will run richer the higher you climb, constantly looseing RPM's. that is were the clutching comes in.
and it will help to be close on your jetting for your lowest elevation, then the enrichment process will be "less" noticable.

these are easy fixes that can be done by yourself, if even a little mechanically inclined.
hope this helps.