• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How do you carry your auger?

Moose-Hunter

Howdy All....

I know.... Opener just happened the other day... Why am I thinking ice.....

I've seen a bunch of holders and attachments that can be used to carry an auger, but nothing that really trips my trigger. Everything I've seen, mounts the auger horizontally across the front or rear rack thus reducing usable cargo space.

What do you use? Do you like how it works? Any problems?

Thanks......

------------------
M-H (aka: Dan)

I built one by soldering some 1" copper tubing together to form two posts with a sort of "Y" on the top. Kind of hard to explain, but I used a "T" and a 90 degree elbow on each one. I then inserted a wooden dowel up inside of it for extra strength. When done, I attached it to the front tube bumper of my Polaris ATP using u-bolts. Kind of hard to explain, but it works great! No rack intereference and the extra weight up front helps offset the weight of my other gear in the back.

I have a "moose" auger carier...very secure! With a bungie net the vex will fit under/infront of it. You can adjust the velcro straps so that its easier to strap with gloves on.

TV Boy, the Moose carrier is from Innovative Products Inc. (IPI) I have one also and it does hold the auger secure.

Moose, do a web search for ice auger carriers.

Moose-
Search under "racks" and go to "auger mounts" and you will see pictures of what i made for ice fishing. After using the racks for the winter, I can't tell you how great they worked out. I never had a problem with the auger not staying in place, and i was in places with deep rutty snow that i got sideways all the time and even some air on.

By the way, I love the bed.

JollyJoker

first time using wireless connection so please forgive me if my post looks choppy...

howdy all from the cabin!! caught an eye this morning off the dock at daybreak!! small but tastey!!

thanks to all who responded!! i've got some great ideas to go with now. i realy like the looks of th "moose" mount. (imagine that from a moose-hnter. lol!!) i would still like to avoid taking up any rck space, but may be able to incorporate that mount into my "special" plan. thanks again for posting!!

hey joker...

glad you like it!! i'm "baggin'" it on living room floor up here right now as all the old "dump" went to the landfil yesterday. 4 trips, truck and trailr loaded to the gills!! previous co-owners were no-taste pigs. btw.. know of any good oak floor supplirs in the brainrd/nisswa area? yesterday was work. today is mine!! gotta go.. fish can not wait any longer!!

------------------

Do a search on this web page there were several topics about this this winter. I have the IPI mounts but I modified them a little. I Used IPI gun holders on the bases from the velcro pieces. It make loading and unloading easier especially in the cold when you have gloves on. The velcro is a real pain when your hands are numb. It doesn't hold it as tight as the velcro but it is still very secure.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
iffwalleyes at yahoo.com

Howdy All....

I was out on the road the other day and found myself at Cabelas.... Imagine that? grin.gif

I picked up the IPI auger mount and found it to be a very nice product. Well built and looks sturdy. BUT, unfortunately, not exactly what I'm looking for.

I "dry fit" the mount on the rack extensions of my Polaris 700. While the parts that hold the drill assembly will work fine, the parts that hold the powerhead, for my application, will not. In order to keep the gas tank elevated, to avoid leaking, I have to carry the auger in a muffler down position. My Strikemaster has the poly (square in cross section) handle. And is built with little tabs to keep a hot muffler off the floor. Due to those tabs, the power head does not really fit well in the mounts. I see it as being sort of a P.I.T.A. when fumbling around in the cold.

This mount would be GREAT for those augers with tube handles and I could get it to "work" with the poly, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. I guess I'm looking for something a bit more "custom".

If someone has some tips using this mount, I'd sure like to hear them. Otherwise this mount will be up for sale shortly...

Thanks....

------------------

Dan, I have the same mounts and the same Strikemaster auger handle. I adjusted the auger holder so the "tabs" of the auger handle fall right into the middle of the holders.

Dave's right. I adjusted the pads so that those knobs fit in the holes in the rubber pads also get the upgraded gas cap from strikemaster in big lake...no leaks since.

As slick as the system works it was a pain to install!!

[This message has been edited by TV BOY (edited 05-31-2004).]

Howdy Folks....

I tried the IPI holder again, adjusted it like you guys told me about. Everything fits fine. AND it does seem very sturdy, but not with I'm looking for.

I'm going to do a custom mount. I've been playing around with a couple ideas and think I've hit on one that may be the ticket.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Oh yeah.... The NEW IPI auger mount I have is now for sale down in the "$100 or less" forum if anyone's interested....

Thanks again.....

------------------

Hey there TV BOY...

Thanks for the suggestion. But over the weekend, my buddy and I came up with a SLICK design for a mount that places the auger completely off the rack area and ..... well, I can't get into too many details yet. I may have come up with a better "mouse trap" so to speak. We have a prototype fabbed up. It's a bit "cobby" looking right now and could use a bit of "cleaning up". If everything works out (cost of build, real world testing....) I'll be building a few of these for my buddies here at FM. At a great price I might add!!

Ain't it amazing what you can come up with when you combine (2)ice anglers, a bunch of aluminum scraps and a "few" barley pops? grin.gif

------------------