• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vex comments

fishinJohn

I've had a few flashers, started with an FL 12, sold it and tried out the lx-5, sold that and tried the ice-55 and ended up selling that too. Not sure why I felt the need to make any of these changes. This year I found a pretty old fl 8 and the price was right. I watched the (long) video on ducers, had a gift card for a big-box store so I purchased the pro view ducer. I figured it would help make the most of my affordable vexilar. I think they sort of missed the mark with how it operates - you turn up the gain to widen the view. Something the video doesn't say is that when you turn up the gain to widen the view it also seems to turn up the gain. So I was fishing in 10 FOW and if I turned up the gain as you should in a shallow water situation my little ice jig gave a return the size of a pike. Even at the lowest setting for the gain my jig was still larger than I wanted. Too bad it doesn't work the opposite way, turn down the gain for a wide angle (and appropriately smaller return on nearby small objects) and up for the narrow angle. Also, on a 15 degree evening I noticed that my fl 8 started to only show the green color, my bottom (was previously red) was indistinguishable, although I knew where it was based on earlier readings. Anyone else ever have the orange and red drop off? I assume it was because it was cold and I had it out of the shack for a while but never saw this with any of the other flashers I have used. I think next time I fish shallow I will put the old ducer back on and can't speak to how the pro view works in deep water since i haven't been over any yet but I imagine it will be fine for that situation. I am posting this here just to see if anyone has anything good to say in response, maybe a suggestion or an explanation. I can't say that the pro view lived up to my expectations but won't deny that I think Vexilar makes the flasher I like best. The hummingbird seemed too flakey (could not hold the lure to a thin green line like I prefer, constantly messing with the gain to get it there) and the lx-5... I just didn't like the screen as much. I think their new models are awesome but the price is ridiculous for the average guy.

Yep, it happens quick. I get about 10 hours out of a battery (I've never bought a new one) then it takes about 5 minutes to go from solid red, to green. That or you had ice on the bottom of the transducer.

About the vexilar, I love my fl-8. I have the standard 19 degree on it, and under 15' I have the ultimate setup. I've been side to side with an fl 18 and 12 degree and for the same reasons you say, it is too sensitive. Not only that, I see fish come in before the 12 degree does. Over 20' and the 19 degree is mediocre. I assume you have the 9 degree, and I can only imagine what that is like. I would buy an S cable, and run that when you're shallower.