• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where is everyone

MJ1657

Anytime you guys find yourself with 1 too many stand ups in your inventory, let me know. 😉

Where is I?

Still house shopping in the Little Falls area; our house in Isanti is on the market. Every lake place I look at I check the water clarity and pike population. Hoping to land on one that's good for spearing. I hope to have a GTG if it all works out.

Been missing the forums but just too dang busy to participate. Now that we're staged and waiting on a buyer I feel like I deserve this time sitting in the garage with the radio and beer and time to post.

Hurry up and get a place. A gtg of some sort at your place would be a blast!

I have it on my calendar.  I'm fishing the last of my regular season bass tourneys that day so I'll try to stay awake for the meeting!  I'm usually pretty beat afterward.  I'd like to hear how my $1.25/month is going to be spent this year. ;);)

If I show up, does that mean I'll get elected to office?  I hear if you don't, you run that risk. :D:D

Edited by Wanderer

Goose is goose is taking a carving class this fall, they are carving cork duck decoys. Anyways, the guy running the class asked me to help out and do a duck so the kids in the class can see an adult do it and I am there to offer pointers as needed. 

Anyways, long story longer, last night they asked me to show spearing decoys and give all brief demo on how and why they work. 15kids that had never heard of or seen a spearing decoy. The questions and amazement in their eyes was fantastic!!! 

So much fun. Made me just that much more excited for spearing. 

Goose is goose is taking a carving class this fall, they are carving cork duck decoys. Anyways, the guy running the class asked me to help out and do a duck so the kids in the class can see an adult do it and I am there to offer pointers as needed. 

Anyways, long story longer, last night they asked me to show spearing decoys and give all brief demo on how and why they work. 15kids that had never heard of or seen a spearing decoy. The questions and amazement in their eyes was fantastic!!! 

So much fun. Made me just that much more excited for spearing. 

good for you!!!

I will say that carving duck decoys is more involved than doing fish. I am really enjoying it. It also feels good to be carving again and reminded me of why I started this in the first place.

After the build up to the Alexandria show last spring my arms were so messed up I couldn't carve anything for several months. Then moving into our new place it all added up to idol shop and quiet equipment. I should have enough stock to get through the Grand Rapids and Blaine shows. 

It's really interesting seeing the amount of detail and research these guys put into it. I am a folk art carver. There are other guys who can do realism way better than I ever could. So this is way outside my comfort zone. But I do enjoy antique gunners decoys so learning what goes into them vs what goes into the carvings that are made for display has been eye opening. 

Its still ill getting closer to time to bring on the ice. We are only 5 weeks from the get to gator. And while I am not ready for it, I am Deffinately looking forward to it. 

Spent 4 hours sitting in the rain this morning on the off chance a deer might walk by. They must not have gotten the invitation I sent out. 

As I walked back to the truck the only thing I could think was "why won't it hurry up and freeze???" I'm ready to sit in the spear shack and stare into the abyss.... Play with decoys and eat hot dogs off the tailgate.

Edited by Neighbor_guy

Yeah, I am starting to feel the itch pretty bad to get on the ice with a spear in my hand.  I am glad to see low temps in the forecast which gives me hope that it will be here soon.  I have a wood working project that is keeping me busy in my spare time which helps to keep my mind off spearing, at least some what.  I am excited to see everyone at the GTG and get a few fish on the ice.

See everyone soon!

Bowhunt