• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which ATV to buy$$

pickerel hunter

Yes polaris has shafts but they are not a true shaft drive machine. They have a cluch and drive belt were as a honda doesn't not have that. Honda's drive shaft comes right out of the engine and into the rear end no drive belt. That is what I was saying.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

iffwalleyes, I think what you mean to say is Polaris machines aren't gear driven, which is true. They have a belt and clutch which sends the power from the engine to the transmission. But, drive shafts do come out of the transmission both front and rear on its shaft drive machines.

Some machines, aminly sport machines, are called "chain driven" since it utilizes a chain to send the power to the wheels.

I'll second that for the Kaw. Prairie 650. I have just about 1000 miles on mine and I love it, Dad bought a 700 last year and its even better.

It's definetly worth a look.....

Mike

Another vote for the Kawasaki Prairie 650! There are some new 03' 650's out there that can be had for a song. I have over 1400 miles on mine with NO problems, and am getting another this spring for the wife! Best way to decide is find a dealer who will let you test drive some....

grin.gif "SPORTSMAN 700" I bought mine 1 1/2 yrs. ago used from a guy that wanted a snowmoble instead. Its a 2002 and had 160 miles on it, payed $5200. I now have 580 mi. on it. I have it set up for the things I want to do with it. Tires:28X12.00X12 Super Swamper Vampire,rear and fronts also.Bought the dual tire kit so duals can be put on all the way around. Hav'nt bought the tires yet, saving up money,around 400 to 500. And NO, with duals on it would'nt be a trail atv. But where I live we do some pretty serious mudding. Have snorkel kit for the deep water and mud. Sometimes you can only see the handle bars going in the water. Have pulled some 10" dia. trees after dropped, Its a power house. Everyone likes their own brand of machine, and I think each is good. P.S. Some say they never get stuck, I say they have'nt been out far enough in the REAL LOON S**T!!!

------------------
"THE LANDING STRIP"

shadyzr,
FYI, there's legislation in the session that would outlaw any tread depth more than 1-inch and any snorkel 6-inches above stock air intake and exhaust outlets.

I'd be careful what ya do or spend money on right now.

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 04-05-2004).]

i ride a 2002 honda rancher es,i picked the rancher mostly from hondas reliablity and the weight savings over the big independent rear suspension models. having a light machine makes the differance in all riding situations from early ice,to hunting not so friendly country.even if you get a winch its no fun winching every where you go with a heavy machine when the lighter machines dont even break through .but thats just my thoughts on the topic- good luck on your purchase which ever brand you go with

Dave, Where we do our extreme mudding and riding in water is on a friends land. He owns about 360 acres. I would never think of doing the kind of riding we do, on public land. As for the single tires,(swampers), The tread depth is over one inch, But I do way less damage than the tree skidders the DNR brings in to log off the state and county land for their profit. As for the exhaust and air breather tube, what difference should a longer tube be against the law they're trying to pass??? Just curious!! I believe there was a law passed about riding an ATV through a wet area, even if it's on your oun land. How COMMUNISTIC is that??? DNR has too much power, or should I say the government that passes the laws the DNR get to enforce.... Just my thoughts..

------------------
"THE LANDING STRIP"

shadyzr, NO argument from me on your thoughts..LOL I just thought I'd send a warning out that some of our tires and other things riders do may soon be illegal. And, about the new laws from last year.

As reference, read the legislative changes from last year here.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/ohv/index.html

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/ohv/ohv2003_changes.pdf

Dave, thanks for the wab sites, very informitive. I ride by the laws, on public, and on privite land. (Only after getting permission). And I do make sure of exactly where i can ride and can't ride. As others, I don't like some of the laws on the books. But will abide by them, some are good, some are bad.

<<<<<<Tread lightly, leave no tracks>>>>>>

------------------
"THE LANDING STRIP"

shadyzr, that's a good reason to join the state association for ATVs and/or at least an ATV club. THEY really help our recreation and riding opportunities, and get nonsense laws off the books.

At least nobody is bashing any of the models that are made.....yet!!! I personally have a 2003 Yamaha big bear, which is my second one and just love it, just like I did my first. It has the in and out 2-wheel 4-wheel drive which is very nice, and what a work horse for a 400. I can outdo most guys on other bigger machines climbing, especially in the gravel pits which is a blast!!! Turns real sharp, plenty of power, comfortable seat, adjustable shocks on front and rear, speedometer and odometer, very very very reliable, and comes in red, blue which looks really cool, green and camoflauge. the only thing is the front differential makes some noise, but talked to yamaha and they said it was something to do with the 2-4 wheel drive feature and told me it will not be a problem. Both of the big bears I have had have taken some major abuse huntin, fishin, and playin, and never had a problem with anything. And for only $4800 wow what a deal!!! The 660 grizzlies are some mean machines also, maybe my next purchase?

------------------
"the quicker you give up the less you will catch but some days you have no other choice"

I have a 2002 gizz 660. and if you plan on using your machine in the winter, also plan on getting some after market tires. the banana peel tires that come on this machine are good for nothing.
this is a great machine, put on some 589's and this thing will go through any snow on the lakes.

I put ITP C Series wheels and 589 tires on my Prairie 650, honestly, I would think twice about purchasing them again. Right now I have taken them off and went back to my stock wheels and tires, just noticed performance loss from the weight the ITP setup put on the machine and the 'feel' of the machine changes too.

I'm not totally against them, they look great and can really go thru the stuff, the thing that probably bugs me the most is the feel of driving on bb's when you are going down the road/trail. The stock setup doesn't have any of that.

Mike

MN mike, they do drive a little different on hard pack, but seem to ride smooth for there agressive tread. what I like best about the tires is the 6 ply. if you are familuar with the height of the grizz, sidehilling was an adventure, with the 589 tires, I get a much better grip on the bank, and less roll and skidding. these tires are worth it just for this on this model, the price for these are shocking thou, geez I could have rigged my pickup for less.

Just to let any of you know I am still working on purchasing the ATV. Too many choices. I am really looking at the Polaris 500 50th anniv. atv. DAVE ( I gave up on the ATP) for now anyway. That may come into play in ayear or 2. The 50th anniversary addition atv is a sweet ride with sweet looking features. But the Honda Rincon is still my favorite. One thing with the Rincon I don't like is the 3 1/2 awd. A salesman told me that the Rincon is on demand all whell drive and will use only 3 1/2 wheel drive. Whatever. I like the true 4 wheel feature but its not necessary. Anyway, I am still looking on the market and if I could get 2 used atvs for the price of a new one I will go for that. The little lady would like one two. 1 problem, I don't have $14,000 laying around. Oh well. I will keep you all informed when the day comes.

Thanks everyone for all the great info.

I have not read all the threads, perhaps some-one mentioned it already. If I could afford it, I would go with an Argo with the track. speed is not inportant to me, and the things will go anywhere all four seasons.
just my two cents.

O

In case anyone was wondering I bought the Polaris Sportsman 500 50th Ann. Edition. So far I have only put 30 miles on it and 3 hours. I will be going out this weekend to enjoy some trails. Thanks for all the info in this thread fellas. Happy Riding to all and to all a good day.

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.