• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which ATV to buy$$

pickerel hunter

Alright, I don't want this to be a long thread but I am planning on buying an atv in a few months give or take. I plan on using the atv for hunting and ice fishing. Basically, this thing will not get a rest. I live in a town that loves ATVers. There are nearby trails and am lucky enough to live in a place where I can access those trails from my driveway. If anyone has a minute to reply let me know what's your take; feel free to post your preferences. What are some things that I should look at and what should I stay away from? I am leaning towards a Polaris 500 ATP (all ter. pickup). But I would like to hear the opinions of fellow FMers. Thanks for anytime you have to reply.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey there P.H.....

I personally agree 100% on your choice of a Polaris. But I'm a bit unsure of the ATP choice. My neighbor has a friend with the 500 ATP and it literally sounds like it's going to rattle apart. You can hear him (rattling) before you see him. Even over the motor!! All the storage and dump box is kinda cool however. But with all those doors and hinges....... Sometihngs gotta give.

Disclaimer: This has been the ONLY ATP I have ever seen "in the wild". So this is what my opinion has been based on. Your actual mileage may vary.

I was in the same "boat" as you. Hunting and ice fishing were my top priorities. Trails came in a close second. I did look at the ATP's, as well as the "other" brands, but went with the Polaris Sportsman series in the 700 twin. Although it doesn't have all the built in storage or the dump box of the ATP, if outfitted correctly, the 700 Sportsman will do the job in a BIG way. I would have gone with the 500 but wanted the extra towing power for the next project on the list. A custom crank down, 7x14 fish house.

Hope this helps a bit.....

------------------
M-H (aka: Dan)

well ive said it before and ill say it again honda formann is a work horse not great for trail riding but for what your looking for it might be just for you...i have a buddy that has the polaris its not even a year old and its in the shop me id stay away from them look at all of them and pick the one that fits your needs i think you will find the honda is the machine...but stay away from the honda es its junk...ice banger out

pickerel,
I have a Polaris 500 sporstman (2000) you will not find a better ride. The down time were I've been able to fix things myself has been way to much IMO. You have to keep things in good running order but I also have two Yamahas that don't even come close to the down time put together. I don't know if this will help but I will look at another brand when I buy again.
Good luck, BD110

[This message has been edited by BD110 (edited 03-23-2004).]

[This message has been edited by BD110 (edited 04-12-2004).]

pickerel hunter -
There are alot of really great machines out there. I ride a 2004.5 Polaris 500HO and I absolutely love it. I use it for the exact same purpose that you have in mind. It has performed flawlessly and does everything I need and more. With that being said, I think the best advice I can give you is to pick a model that has the features you want and need and buy it from a dealer that you trust.

I would strongly recomend several features to look for if you are going to ride in deep snow. The machines with Independent Rear Suspension (IRS) all have superior ground clearance as compared to the ones that don't. When you are riding in 14" of snow a machine with a solid rear axle will probably have about 7-8 inches of ground clearance, thus pushing about 6-7 inches of snow. The IRS machines will have 11-12 inches of clearance and would only need to push 2-3 inches of snow. It is obvious which machine would go through more snow. Most of the machines have true 4WD but there are models that do not. For example, the Honda Rubicon does not have true 4WD. It has a limited slip front differential which is good but not as good as true 4WD. Some people call the Honda 3WD or 3.5WD. Most of the time this is not a factor but it sometimes is. If you are going to be towing your ice shack, look for machines with a large enough towing capacity, They vary a lot from model to model and brand to brand.

Test drive the ones you are interested in and look closely at the dealer and how you will be treated when you need service. If you don't like the dealer, keep looking until you find the right one.

Good luck with whatever you buy!

Sod

Use the "search" function for ATVs. That should get some past threads on this subject.

Also, I have an ATP in my garage. The rattling comes from the tailgate. I haven't tried to remedy that problem but I do have some ideas on how to dampen that noise down. The ride on an ATP is not as smooth as a Sportsman since it's a straight axle design.

My deer and gear fit nice in the ATP's box, however, during hunting.

Thanks everybody so for the info. Yes, I have talked with a buddy about the ATP and he also thinks that I will miss the IRS. DAVE - how satisfied are you from 1 - 10 with the ATP. It is a beautiful machine and seems like the ticket.

So when I started getting serious about purchasing a 4 wheeler I was intent on the Honda Rincon. Honda- good name with long standing reliablility. That will make ice banger happy. But I wanted to look at the different models first. A buddy of mine has the Yamaha Grizzly 660. That thing does not get stuck. It impressed me. He is pushing me towards a Yamaha. Truly, so far I have not seen a machine I wouldn't want. They are all good but I am trying to find what's good for me. Does anyone have an opinion on the Suzuki Vinson? How about Cats? Sounds like a reliable machince, but noisy. Has anyone heard if their body style is changing this year. I have heard (grapevine) their plant is locked down where they assemble the ATvs? Not sure if its true/untrue.

Moose Hunter- I like the 700 twin. Powerful machine. As a bonus it looks sharp too.

Like I said, just looking for feedback from fellow FMers. Big purchase and I try to get as much feedback as possible from people who use the dang things, not the salesman.

"Don't sweat petty things and don't pet sweaty sweaty things"

On a scale from 1-10, I'd rate it a 7-8. Haven't had any problems. A little noisy tailgate but I REALLY miss the IRS of the Sportsman. The dump box is pretty cool though. Hmmmmmmmm, I guess we're all still waiting for the "perfect" machine for everyone's tastes. And, when it does come, it'll probably have a price tag of $10,000...LOL

You have to decide what's more important, for YOU.

The Grizzly 660 has come a long way and is a heck-of-a nice machine, too.

Let's try this. Why are you thinking the ATP? Because of the dump box for carrying loads?

I have to agree with the fellas that say you really can't go wrong with any of the machines out there now. I own a Yamaha big bear 400. It is a work horse. I've never gotten it stuck and I've had it in some serious pookey.It's constant 4 wheel drive. Can't take it out of 4 wheel and put into 2 wheel. I like it, a lot of guys wouldn't like that. I like the solid shaft rear end. No differential, no slip, all tires are a spinnin. However, it's not the easiest thing to turn because of the limited slip in the front end. Also, because of the solid shaft rear end there are definately more comfortable rides out there. I wanted a total work machine and that's what I got. It pulls the fish house around like it's nobodys business, plows snow, gets me to the duck blind, etc. I'd buy another any day.

I have the Rincon. Only have around 600 miles or so but really like it so far. My brother has a couple 03 660 Grizzlies and with the exception of twisting off a couple of front axle joints has been happy with his purchase. I don't think you could really go wrong with any of them. I don't think that the ATP is really much of a hauler though, your not going to be hauling to much in the little dump box, better off with a little trailer on a regular ATV I would think.

Good luck on your decision, I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you get.

I have a 2002 Artic Cat 500I

Been a good wheeler, with no problems. All the cat owners I know have no major complaints other then the top end speed.

If I buy a second wheeler I most likly will go with another cat

Honda Rubicon all the way. I put 26" Mudlite tires on this baby and it is decked out. I was in the same boat as you half a year ago. I needed an ATV for hunting and fishing. I took Ruby on every ice fishing adventure this year and it never let me down. I was in Alexandria banging lakes, SD, LOTW, RED, Cheumagon bay and Canada for Lakers. I set it up with Ryan's ATV racks and I throw my auger and Fish Trap on there and I'm gone. Oh yeah and it goes through a lot of MUD!

DAVE - Not really. I like the possibility of carrying dirt and sand and stuff. The idea of my dog in the kennel in the back. Can you imagine the ride over some rough terrain? I wouldn't put my dog through that but I like the idea of how handy the ATP is. I am sure I'll haul something one time or another. To me its a sportsman with a bit of truck mentality. So dave, given the opportunity, would you trade your ATP back for a sportsman 500? I don't want to make regret your Awesome ATP but just wondering. I haven't seen many people with them but to me it looks like the answer, except for that blasted IRS.

Pickerel, a buddy of mine has his lab sit on the carpeterd back rack of his Sportsman. The dog does just fine while slowly cruising the trails to get to hunting areas.

Would I trade? If my plan was to utilize the rear box by carrying gear, like ice fihsing, camping, trail clearing stuff, most of the time, I'd keep it.

If I was doing more faster pace recreational riding, I'd go Sportsman.

The ATP isn't too bad on slow cruising. I can still feel the dif but, again, it depends on what you're going to use the machine for.

I bought a new Polaris 400 explorer in 2000.In a period of just over a year i had to take it back to the dealer to replace the starter.They replaced the first starter under warranty,the next two i had to pay for and at over $300.00 each time i had enough and traded it in on a new Arctic Cat 500 manuel and i love it.I don't have the top end like i did with the Polaris but i sure got the power i need.As far as the starter problems with the Polaris,the dealer said the problem was that Polaris put the starter on the bottom of the motor where water gets into the starter and fries it.His suggestion,keep it out of the water,(yeah right)ha ha.Good luck on your new atv purchase.

Thanks Everyone for your input. Thanks Dave for the added info on the ATP. Its nice to have this posting available for us anglers and hunters. This is a valuable tool for the purchaser who is going to buy an expensive rec. vehicle. I have a tough but fun decision to make.
I will be looking this and next weekend a bit more and maybe even test driving a couple. How bout' this, when I get the wheeler I will post it. That way you guys who had some influence on my decision can see what the pickerel hunter bought. If I do not buy one by the end of April, I may just wait to see the new ATVs released in late summer. I kinda of want to see what Artic did do to their wheeler.

Happy riding everyone.

I paid $8,040 for my 2002 Polaris 700 Twin. The machine now shows 1,000 miles and it's had $2,500 of warranty work done to it. Luckily for me and not Polaris I opted on the $599 five year full warranty. If I ever buy another Polaris anything it will have to have the same warranty.

The machine is nice and has pretty much every add on but a winch, tons of power!!!

Chopperdog what was your brother doing when he did the number on the axles, I have the 2002 ,660 GRIZZLY and my brother had one, he had his in the 4wheel/differenial lock and was going through a dry creek bed and came out the other side ,one tire in front was up in the air with the weight on the other , heard a pop and the axle broke. Was your brother using the differenial lock?

I currently own a 04 Bombardier 650 Quest XT and love it. Large storage area for gear, minnow bucket sits in my front cargo compartment when I use it ice fishing. Came with a 3 year warranty and knock on wood haven't had to use. Lots of power available when needed. Price out the door was $6500.

I have a couple of friends that have 03 Grizzlies and they have each broken a few axles. They were told that those axles were weaker than the previous years and they have now corrected the weak ones. There have been no problems since then, but winter came and they have yet to really test them. I know another guy that has a Bombadier Outlander and that seems to be a very good machine. I own a 02 Sportsman 400 and it has been a very good machine. I only have about 800 miles on it and haven't had any problems yet. The reason I went with Polaris was more of brand loyalty than anyting else. I have owned a few Polaris sleds and was happy with them. All the machines out today are very good. If I were you I would go to all the dealerships that you can and ride the ones that you are interested in and buy the one that you feel most comfortable with.

I am running a Honda Foreman and my dad has a Sportsmen 500. As far a ride his is much more comfortable and about 6 mph faster on the top end. But that is the only thing I like about it is the ride. As far as work it is not worth a darn compared to my foreman. The minute you put a trailer with any tounge weight the sportsman looses all of it original 11-12 in of ground clearance mentioned earlier and it practically drags it hitch on the ground. I don't know if that have improved this or not since my dads it a "98 they probably have made this better but I don't know for sure. My Honda on the other hand it doesn't matter how much weight it on the hitch it just goes. I bought it used from a rancher and it has over 7000 miles but it still runs great. Way cheaper that buying new too less then half the cost of a brand new one. I also like the Electronic shift on the Honda better then the polaris automatic. Every bit of throttle on my foreman goes to the wheels were as with the sportsman you waste so much throttle getting the clutch moving you loose allot of power with it. These are just some of the things that I have noticed between these two machines. When ever I buy another machine it will be a Honda or Yamaha.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

iffwalleyes,
Just to touch on the suspension subject. Yes, the Sportsman squats in the rear when weight is on the hitch and your Honda doesn't. The Sportsman has independent suspension and there's no way around that. But, I think if you measured each, they'll end up to be about the same ground clearance to the hitch.

That is what I was trying to say that it does have high ground clearance unless you are pulling something. I guess it just feel like your butt is on the ground when you are pulling somethings since it usually have a higher ride. Are the new ones still like this? All I know is that I like the true shaft drives that Honda makes they are much more solid and more durable.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

The Polaris' are shaft drive, also. I think what you are trying to say is that you like the solid rear axle. I would have to agree that if you are going to be pulling a lot of heavy loads the solid axle would be the way to go. If you are going to do a lot of trail riding and running in the mud the true 4x4 have an advantage over some others with only limited slip. I have pulled a lot of things with my Sportsman and it does squat the rear end because of the independent suspension. Any wheeler with independent suspension is going to squat when you put a load on the hitch.