• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kawasaki ATV's

russ

I'm thinking of switching from Arctic Cat to 360 Kawasaki Prairie, or a 300 Bayou. What do you think of your Kawasaki and would you get another one? Top speed of a 360 Prairie? Is the full time 4x4 an inconvenience or a non-issue? I have a 1996 Bayou and it's rock solid and trouble free and gets used hard (and even abused at times)

Thanks.

Russ -
I have a good friend whose family owns 6 Prairie 300s. From his experience, I would say that they are super reliable. They are not real fast and I don't think the 360 is a speed machine either.
SF

[This message has been edited by Sod Farmer (edited 03-08-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Sod Farmer (edited 03-08-2004).]

I have had my 2- 300 Bayou's for a long time. I have a 1988 300 2X4, and a 1994 4X4 300. The 88' has many, many miles on it, still looks perfect. I had it tuned up once, and I changed the brakes. The brakes were due to an unfortunate incident where I found that they sink like rocks when you fall thru the ice.... I change plugs, oil, grease every year. Then I ride them. Alot. The only thing I would like is a 400CC motor instead of 300. 300 is a little underpowered when riding in the snow. Otherwise these machines have been great, and I would certainly buy a new one if I ever felt the need to get rid of my machines. I also think the less bells and whistles means less items there are to break or fail. If you do a lot of riding in tight areas the Bayou has a small turning radius. that's my 2 cents. Jim

russ,

I can't tell you anything about the Kawasaki's but you did ask a question about full time 4WD, I have a Yamaha Big Bear with full time 4WD, and I can tell you I wish I had the ability to put it into 2WD. It would make it much easier to turn in the woods and on tight trails. Other than that I really like the Big Bear, it's not very fast but it's a real workhorse and that's what I use it for.

Ole

I own a 01 Bayou, only vehicle I've bought new. I was worried about all time 4x4, but it makes a ride injoyable and keeps me from using execessive speed (I had a talk with a roommate about riding abnoxiously, he died a year later in an ATV accident). People would see a new guy riding (me) with the group and wished they stuck with a bayou. I'm a big person and that 300 lets me keep up with everone up some hills.

I love it.