• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Arctic cat's

cas

I'm not much an arctic cat man myself but I have worked on afew and only for maintainance mostly. I did have one 500 apart for a speedo angle drive malfunction, but never seen another since. Both the 500 and the 650 are good strong motors. If you looking for more grunt get the 650. It is a Kawasaki motor. from the prarie 650 and 700, Have not heard of any problems with that motor. lots of power. The only pain about the motor it the belt wear switch. It is a pain to reset. so I've heard but thats it. I guess it really depends on how much power you want. They both have good ride and run really well. If were to choose I would take a 650. they just got lots of grunt to them.

sledhead

------------------
ride safe, wear a helmut, stupid hurts

If you get'em serviced, wash'em first.

I have a 2000 500 4x4 automatic and work it hard. Discing, dragging, hauling firewood, hunting, ice fishing, going through LOTS of mud and snow, etc. It's a solid machine.

It's not nearly as fast or quick as the Hondas, Polaris, Yamahas, etc. that my buddies ride. If you're planning to trail ride or rip around with your buddies, an Artic Cat will definately be slower. If you're getting it to work, I think you'll be happy with it.

Good luck.

Perchjerker -
I participate in a number of other ATV forums. When I read your response on this thread, I just had to congratulate you and everyone else on this forum for being so honest in giving advise. Most of the other sites have guys that are so brand loyal that all objectivity is lost. This is one place that I can go to get honest opinions without all of the talk.
SF

For another honest reply, as far as the 2000 Arctic Cat 500 being slow, I agree. Been telling Cat execs that for years...LOL Although, I think it was in 2003 the 500 received updates and it's a lot faster than the old 500. Between the old and new 500, riding them side by side left the older 500 in the dust. The suspension has always been nice, I think. More body roll than competitors but it is nice and smooth.

Just wanted to tell all you thanks for the reply's. It's seems their a rather new machine and i just wanted some honest opinions and that's what i got here. still looking around to see what will fit me best. Thanks again and happy trails. cas

I've been riding a '96 AC Bearcat 454 since new. I believe it was the first model produced.

It has been used, abused and ridden through the worse conditions and still goes strong to this day. Very quiet reliable machine. The only issue we had once was a bearing went in the rear axle, which was not a big deal.

Oh, we don't buy these machines for speed either....it's for the power! grin.gif

Just see if they corrected the problem with the front hub and axle I had heard there was a recall. I am a first time owner I bought a 400 polaris 2004.5 and loving it.

Have a good time and yes this is a good group to get information from they helped on making my decision.

I HAVE A '99 ARTIC CAT 500 MANUAL AND LOVE IT.. I USE IT FOR HUNTING, FISHING, AND HAULING WOOD.. THE ONLY PROBLEM I EVER HAD WAS MY FLOAT IN MY CARB STUCK AND THEY SAID THAT WAS DUE TO SAWDUST GETTING IN THE GAS TANK FROM THE CRATES THAT THERE ORIGINALLY IN.. THEY COVERED IT UNDER WARRANTY AND I HAVENT HAD A PROBLEM SINCE.. I WORK IT EXTREMELY HARD AND WOULD HAVE TO SAY THAT THEY ARE VERY TOUGH MACHINES.. I HAVE BLACKWATER BIG WHEEL KIT ON MINE AND ITS TOP SPEED IS ABOUT 53MPH, BUT IT TAKES A BIT TO GET UP TO THAT SPEED.. I USE MINE MORE FOR WORK THAN TRAIL RIDING SO IT WORKS OUT GREAT FOR ME.. I JUST WISH I COULD FIND ONE BIGGER THAN A 500 IN A MANUAL..