• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV Safe Angle to climb hills

Houston

Bought a Polaris 400 4x4 Want some tips on hill climbing. Will be using in the pembina valley for hunting. I have read the manual and it stated 25 degree angle was the steepest slope. First time owner

You can go up a much steeper incline than 25 degrees. It is whatever you are comfortable with. You will not run out of power, so be careful and keep the front end on the ground or it can get away from you easily. Once you drive it a while you will know what you are comfortable with.

spearchucker said it pretty well... the atv is capable.

Get some experience on your machine and be careful..

When on an incline .. pick your line and keep going, dont stop.. when it comes to going down a steep incline.. keep your speed slow and steady. It is best to ride with other experienced riders and observe their actions in steep terrain.

The type of terrain it is makes a big difference to the difficulty. i.e. sand, rocks, wet leave covered ground, snow, etc., etc.

Just remember that if things go bad you can bail, you can replace the machine. If you have to jump off make sure you go off to the side so the machine doesn't crush you on the way down.

Don't be over confident either. Practice small and work up to steeper angles. Move your weight forward when going up hill and slide your butt to the rear of the seat when going downhill. Keep your speed constant. And, know what's on the other side.

All good tips. As stated it is very important to keep the front on the ground. Steady speed will help. Not too slow but not fast enough to pop you off. Also make sure you know how the brakes work. In 4x4 one brake is all brakes, I think.

Do not be afraid to bail out either. I suggest you try the hill first without anything loaded on the ATV. Then load your things and try it again. The extra weight can make a difference.