• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2004 polaris sportsman 400 problem

30 inch eyes

I have a 2004 sportsman 400 that I changed the low beams to 565 watt blazers and added a plow to, now the battery indicator comes on when idiling. last night the whole motor shut down on me when I was riding ay about 35. Could these lights be to much for the battery? or do I have another posible problem? Has anybody else had this problem?

30-inch,
I believe stock headlamps in the grille are 27-watt each. The handlbar pod light is 60-watt.
I think you meant to type "55"-watt instead of 565 watt.

So, you swapped the stock bulbs for new Blazer bulbs, right? Disconnect a bulb and see if the indicator still comes on.

Is the plow a manual lift or are you using a winch to raise and lower the blade? When not using the winch, does the indicator come on?

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 02-17-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 02-17-2004).]

Can't you just shut the lights off for awhile and run it at more than idle and see if the battery light goes off? I haven't looked at the new ones much lately - do the lights still go to off? Or just low?
If you shut the lights off and the battery light is still on after a some time running around(15 minutes? 20?) then you must have another problem. Seems like I remember the alternator on the sportsman is like 200 watt or more - but I imagine at idle it's not going to make full output. If your lights are on, your handle/thumbwarmers on, you're in 4x4 and using your winch at idle or low engine rpm they all take juice. The more powerful lights may just have tipped you over. If you are not already, try using low range to keep engine rpm's up.

later

River

the battery light goes off if i shut the lights off. but when i had the machine shut off i was driving with the lows on for about 45 min. and going about 40mph. i shut off the lights and it started back up. then i drove about 3/4 of a mile and it shut off again. this time it took a little more to get running but it started, so i put it on the trailer. its at the dealer now. thanks for the help.

I figured out the problem. it wasn't the lights. it was something stupid,I had a long rubber keychain on my key that hocked the gas cap as the steering pod was moving side to side and turned the key just enough to kill the machine. I feel stupid, but hope this will prevent anybody else from being worried like I was. (take those dealer keychains off of your keys,just use your key as is!)

Oooops, sorry, 30-inch. I thought everyone was past that old problem from years ago and I totally forgot about that one. Glad you figured that out.

Did that eliminate your battery light problem too?

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 02-24-2004).]

30-inch, your not alone. Last week I took my daughter for a ride accross the lake we live on. There is up to 3 feet of snow in areas so you have to stay moving at a good pace when you hit spots that you are pushing snow. well, going thru a big bay with large snow banks, the back wheels buried down and we stoped in a few feet. Tried to back out and only the rear wheels spun. What had happened was my key HAD a keyring on it and it hit the fuel cap when I turned the steering and the key moved back just enough to turn off the awd but not shut the motor off. A 10 minuet ride turned into 30 minuets of getting my 4 wheeler out. Live and learn. NO MORE KEY CHAINS

Just a tip for a key with no key fob. On my ATV key, I tie a 4-inch length of orange shoe lace so I can find the key incase it falls out of my hand while out stopping out on the trail or in the woods.

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 02-24-2004).]