• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Morson LOTW Ice Fishing Reports

There was about 8 inches of ice as of Sunday Dec 1. .I left this morning before it stopped snowing ,not sure on the amount now but there was around 5 inches as of yesterday . Good luck

Robert

Ice conditions are great. Talked to my Uncle , he said " it great going little slush around some cracks nothing to worry about. There's some drifts beside shores lines which is making some slush . Some of the snow has been blown off parts of the ice. The snow is a dry snow so little insulation so we are making ice .Around 10 to 12 inches of snow. There was over 8 inches last time he checked " I don't have a report of fishing yet. Good luck and have a great day

Robert

P.S. its -18 Fahrenheit or -28 Celsius right now

We got up late Thrusday night and didn't start fishing until about 12 on Friday due to staying up a little to late on Thursday night and enjoying some beverages while playing cards. None the less, fished from 12-5 Friday for 5 guys and got around 250 walleye/sauger and a fat 35" pike. Plenty of the typical 10-14" fish but a very good number of 20-24" fish with multiple 24-26" fish as well. Fat healthy walleyes. Saturday was considerably slower but we were also using larger baits trying for big fish and did not have live minnows which we had on Friday. Still, managed around 100 fish for the 5 of us from about 11am-5pm. Both days we drilled the holes and didn't move, 23-24' was what we were fishing. Drifts of snow close to shore but on the lake average was around 6-8" of snow with areas that had none, ice around 15-17" where we were. Overall a great weekend, cold temps but no wind so it wasn't too bad. Good luck!

Are you driving up through Fort Frances or Baudette? There is a bait shop in Fort Frances but Rainy River no longer has anyone that sells live bait, to my knowledge. There are at least a couple of people that will sell you live bait up in Morson during the Winter but it can get pricey. There is another possibility, Alf Gate Tackle, that has a little sign on Hwy 621 somewhere around Bergland. You'll see the sign on the corner of one of the Eastbound gravel roads. Try, also to contact Rob at Tolens Pelican Landing Resort. Rob has great cabins with a great access to LOTW and will go out of his way to help you out. Hope this helps.

Well our New Years trip was quite an adventure. Very cold temps, lots of snow and not a very good bite. We got the heat on in the cabin on Wed then headed out for the walleye bite. Temp was -20 but no wind. Caught a few for dinner but most were small. Next day woke to -40 and waited till it warmed up to -20 at noon to head out. Decided not to go to WFB in that cold and fished walleyes close by again. Pretty slow bite and lot of small fish. Finally Friday we headed to WFB. It was snowing pretty good and windy but finally got to 0. Ride to portage was good but then we got to Turtle Lake and the slush was pretty bad all through there. We made it through but it was dicey in spots. Fished 3 of my favorite spots and didn't get a bite. Pretty disappointing but had a good time with good friends. My guess is that travel is only going to get more difficult as the winter goes on. WFB was good where we were but that's a small sample.