• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fly reels for ice fishing

harvey lee

Which ones are good and which ones should one stay away from for fly fishing type reels for ice fishing?

Is the Clam Dave Genz model worth it for panfish or eyes?

Thanks

I have been using the Genz fly reel and its a good one for the $. Does what it should. I just wish the line guide was up top rather than below. I think its a good bang for the buck.

I was talked into okuma 2/3, I bought a dave genz clam version, and another brand all from same retailer, all I will say is watch south American river HSOforum for okuma's on sale, I got 2 this fall for $75, an awesome deal and the quality cannot be matched, you can test or try cheaper, but the smoothness & drag rock. I now have 4 combos on them and don't regret it a bit, and I will never see another line twist from spinning reels grin

I run Okuma SLV 2/3 reels on a couple rods...GREAT reels. Wouldnt hesitate to buy another.

Will be running a Black Betty 6061 this year as well. Used a friends a bit last season and couldnt wait to get one of the new models this year. Great fly type reel for fishing deeper water.

I used a Okuma 2/3 SLV for the last 3 years and loved it, until I bought one of this year's model 6061. I put it on a TUC noodle and it's probably the only rod I"ll use for panfish this winter. The only bad thing about the Okuma is it seems every once in a while you get a tangle around the arbor and need to take the spool off to fix it. Maybe it's operator error...

You spend all that money on a fly/Multiplier reel but why? At three dollars a piece you can use a Schooley. Schooley's have won more money on the tournament circuit than any other reel. This video I'm using 2lb Stren Ice Hi-Vis gold. I also landed 20 smallies on the same setup at Mille Lacs last year. Proof's in the pudding!!

I used a Okuma 2/3 SLV for the last 3 years and loved it, until I bought one of this year's model 6061. I put it on a TUC noodle and it's probably the only rod I"ll use for panfish this winter. The only bad thing about the Okuma is it seems every once in a while you get a tangle around the arbor and need to take the spool off to fix it. Maybe it's operator error...

regarding your "line around arbor issue", I had exact same thing, happened several times to me last year & I finally started fuming over it, took back to retailer that I had purchased it from, they said the reason was it had too much line on it, I told them they were the ones that put the line on, they completely re spooled it for me and I have had zero problems since

You spend all that money on a fly/Multiplier reel but why? At three dollars a piece you can use a Schooley. Schooley's have won more money on the tournament circuit than any other reel. This video I'm using 2lb Stren Ice Hi-Vis gold. I also landed 20 smallies on the same setup at Mille Lacs last year. Proof's in the pudding!!

Old school is still the way to go wink

In the price range you are talking, nothing beats the Okuma 2/3 SLVs. The Genz reels are priced attractively, but not of the same quality build, and the drag on the Okuma is much better.

If you are looking for better than 1:1 ratio, there are other options. Ice Tech Fishing Systems is one, but I won't speak of them much because of a conflict of interest. Suffice it to say I am comfortable using both the Okuma and the Ice Tech Razors in 20 feet of water or less, and don't use any other reels. The original Black Betty is an overpriced, scaled down Ice Tech ripoff ( as are most of the "Johnny come lately" 1:1 straight-line reels), the Beam Outdoors Fire on Ice 3 is a better reel for about the same price as the Okumas. I do have a few of the Black Betty 6061s and they are much better, but still too spendy IMHO. The best straight line reel with a better than 1:1 ratio are the Beam Outdoors Elite 21s - if money is no object, as they are uber-spendy. I have two of them on my walleye rigs and they work great- would have more if they weren't so overpriced.

Can't speak to the Frabill 101s, 241s, 261s. Have a 241, works OK but that's about all I want to say about it.

Bottom line, best bang for the buck- get on Amazon and buy a half dozen of the Okumas at $40 or less, put a decent amount of backing on them and you have a great straight line reel for not a lot of pesos that compares favorably to much pricier options.

My first inline reel was the cheaper of the black Betty reel combos last year, liked the feel but since I crank with my right hand I had to switch the spool so the drag knob would come loose causing the reel to wobble and my line to wrap around the outside of the arbor making a mess.

I really like the rod that came with it though for a production rod.

I got an okuma 2/3 this year..

See all comments above. It's now my go to

Is this the Okuma that you guys are talking about: http://www.amazon.com/Okuma-41558-Diecast-Aluminum-Silver/dp/B001V7KSDA ?

I've been happy with the eagle claw inline. It has free spool, and you can get it for $25 at GM. Not too impressed with the 6061. For $100, I'd rather have 4 of the eagle claws. I may have to try out that Okuma though...

Is this the Okuma that you guys are talking about: http://www.amazon.com/Okuma-41558-Diecast-Aluminum-Silver/dp/B001V7KSDA ?

I've been happy with the eagle claw inline. It has free spool, and you can get it for $25 at GM. Not too impressed with the 6061. For $100, I'd rather have 4 of the eagle claws. I may have to try out that Okuma though...

yes, that's the one (but make sure its 2/3 version) and that's a very good price