• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Passenger on ATV

Howdy

Just curioushow many guys haul around an extra passenger on a single person ATV when just putting around ice fishing or hunting?

I know it isn't wise to ride this way, but I mean slow riding for ice fishing or hunting not speeding around through trails and that kind of stuff..

I know its not legal but I've seen so many people do it I wonder if there are exceptions for this type of transportation. Anyone get a ticket for this????

Howdy, It's only legal for an adult to carry a passenger if the passenger is 16 or under and wearing a helmet. Lots of people do it. I do it. There are some times when common sense over rules the law. And I think the authorities take this into account.

russ

I think the law says something like "no more passengers than the manufacturer recommends" or something like that. Arctic Cat makes a "two up" machine so riding double on that is okay. Polaris I think is coming out with one or maybe has already I'm not sure.
The law is vague. Some judges/sheriffs interpret it differently. My neighbor is a deputy and he says unless it looks unsafe - like two kids - he won't give Mom and Pop a ticket for riding double. Other counties and officers may not be that generous.
Dave might be able to help out here with the exact wording of the law. On the other hand, I've heard of judges throwing out tickets because they thought it was badly written.

later
River

I asked about the Artic Cat at the dealer and they said the 2-up machine they sell is legal in MN. I also asked at a Polaris dealership and they said all you need to do is add the seat on the back rack and pegs onto any ATV to make it legal for 2-up riding.

[This message has been edited by Dan Wood (edited 02-10-2004).]

Ray hit that right on the head.......... I've looked into getting a permit to carry a handicapped passenger. No go! It boils down to the discression of the areas law enforcement. I was told it would take a new law being passed.
Bottom line.... I wouldn't get caught carring a passenger with todays "hard look" on ATV's. Just adding more ammo to groups wanting to limit other peoples activities.

nunzio, I find that hard to believe. NOT that you're not telling the truth. I've always heard the DNR advocating to not trying to limit the uses and areas for ATVs, especially when the handicap is the subject. Interesting.

Dan, I would highly doubt that is all you have to do to make it legal for two riders. I've never seen a seat/cargo box type accessory that you add on the back rack that doesn't say "not for passenger" or words to that effect.
I think it'd be hard to add a passenger if the machine states "no passengers" all over it.

Now, getting a permit to have a handicapped person as a passenger on a one person machine, I can't see why. I'll do some checking on that.

Just stating what the dealer said - he told me there is a Polaris accessory back seat and pegs that make it legal in MN. I may look into that a bit further, the back rack seems to be fine for a second person as-is though when your putting around. That law is in place I presume to keep people from getting hurt. I trust most wardens can differentiate between safe riding and unsafe riding and will not generally write a ticket. I've never seen a ticket given out for ice fishing double, triple, etc. I guess it just depends on who you run into out there and how bad his day is going. grin.gif Technically it is against the law.

[This message has been edited by Dan Wood (edited 02-11-2004).]

seems to be okay from what most of you guy are saying? I asked my Polaris dealer about this and he said the back rest and pegs sold by Polaris would make it legal. maybe i will do that, but not sure it is needed?? it wasn't real cheap and if I dont' need to do it I won't.

Dave;
It took awhile for me to get an answer from the DNR.

Dan Wood;
Thats what I was told.... that it's against the law and the law would need to be changed to allow a passanger. I had several comments to the effect that no law enforcement would give a ticket for allowing a handicapped passenger..... I just wanterd to be legal about it and not play on sympathies or worry about someone having a bad day.

Dave;
It took awhile for me to get an answer from the DNR.

Dan Wood;
Thats what I was told.... that it's against the law and the law would need to be changed to allow a passenger. I had several comments to the effect that no law enforcement would give a ticket for allowing a handicapped passenger..... I just wanted to be legal about it and not play on sympathies or worry about someone having a bad day.

A couple of you guys stated that Polaris sells kits to add a passenger on an ATV. I received word from my Polaris contact, who alos double checked with the Polaris accessory group, and there is no accessory kit from Polaris that would make a single rider ATV legal for two riders.

I would check out the legality if you're adding something from a dealer that states your ATV will be 2-up legal if you add this and that.

I haven't seen any such kit myself.

I talked to the DNR at the Sportshow and the rulling state "ONLY IF it is an accessory that is added AT THE FACTORY TO MAKE IT LEAGLE for 2 person riding," would the DNR allow it.
There is 1 other thing to factor in, that both the operator and passenger will be inside the front and rear axle centeline. Be careful with those accesories!