• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chains for Plowing

fishingbuddy

I haven't used chains on my kodiak , I have just used 4wd and 4wd locked. I had not seen a need for chains until I was getting stuck in some deep snow trying to clear a walkway. I also was wondering if chains would make a difference.

Any advise appreciated.

Chains actually cause the wheels to spin more on surfaces like concrete; since only the chain is making contact with the surface.
And, the add traction on dirt drives could put more strain on the driveline if the wheels slip and all of a sudden grab; might cause a broken u-joint if power isn't let off right away. I haven't found the need for chains on machines 500 and up.

No need for chains to plow. I have a Kodiak 400, and it works great.
If you want your driveway(if its asphalt) to look like a bunch of snowmobiles with studs went spinning down your driveway, then chains are in order... smile.gif
If the snow is deep, just don't take a full 60 inch wide swipe of snow. Push snow on half the blade.

So, if I were to pull a permenant house on the ice it may not be a bad idea to have a set on hand? Just want to know if I should returns the ones I just bought (still in the box).

Thanks

TV, yeah that about sums it up. I've pulled my converted 12' camper/fish house on ice without the chains but only on a calm day!! My buddy has the exact set up but he runs chains every year as his permanent is in the 5,000 lbs or greater category. With some snow and glare ice you will need the chains without a doubt. Like I said, mine are bagged/tagged and on the shelf since 96', but I can alway's put them on! smile.gifsmile.gif