• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Experience with vaseline around dog eyes, nose?

Scott M

Hunted my lab hard in SW Minnesota on Black Friday. Mostly had the area to ourselves, or at least were the first to walk the parcels we hunted nearly all day. Saw a lot of birds and had a great time, but I'll cut to the chase. I always feel like a jerk after these late season hunts and the dog's face is scraped up. She's a gamer and her vest is good for her chest but her face takes a licking from cattails, bulrush, sumac, spruce, cedar, shelterbelts, barbed wire, etc. It's what you want with a dog getting her nose down and working it over but I wish she looked better the day after. I've often heard of people putting vaseline around a dog's eyes and face. Does it work? My lab is always weepy the day after...that is the eye naturally flushing out the foreign objects (dust, seeds, etc.). I'm fine with that, but I want to avoid the cuts, scraps, and rubbing. Anybody with experience with vaseline, other products, or willing to share other tips, please share.

I wouldn't. that would just attract foreign bodies, and it wouldn't be good if it got in the dogs eyes. I feel the same about my gsp. but, that's part of being a bird dog. the dog would be mad if they just stayed in the kennel all the time and looked flawless!

Not sure I'd worry too much about the nicks and scrapes. Just take care of the scrapes after the fact. When my dog gets nicked up I usually just touch them up with a little neosporin afterward to help it heal and prevent infection. Otherwise I just let the dog do its thing. Afterall chicks dig scars grin

My cocker house dog always gets a dry nose pad and the vet said I could rub some vasoline on it now and then as the dryness bothers her. That works great for a dry nose pad and that never bothered her eyes but I do not put it any closer to her eyes than her nose. Looks great after just a day or two.

Not sure on the rest of the dog's face as I did not ask the vet about that.

My cocker house dog always gets a dry nose pad and the vet said I could rub some vasoline on it now and then as the dryness bothers her. That works great for a dry nose pad and that never bothered her eyes but I do not put it any closer to her eyes than her nose. Looks great after just a day or two.

Not sure on the rest of the dog's face as I did not ask the vet about that.

When I had my English Pointer, if he got any scrapes on his legs or body, I would always put some on the scrapes with zero issues but again, never tried it by his face.

Vaseline is a petroleum product. Don't think it would be a good idea to get it near their eyes. Stick with the products designed for things like this.

The dogs look rough after busting cattails all weekend but they sure enjoy it.

grin