• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Helmet

bklimek

Just wondering how many people wear them out there when trailriding? I am debating on buying one? When riding on the lakes it is cold and it hurts the eyes getting pelted by snow. If one was to buy a helmet is the open face with goggles the ticket here? How would these helmet styles work when sledding? Does it get too cold to ride? Where is the best place to get a good helmet and goggles? All these questions??????

I wear a full faced snowmoble helmet with a flip up face shield. Has vents in the helmet. Very warm and protects from the wind. I don't even wear any glasses underneath it. Junky........

------------------
A fishing guide is just a fishing junky who takes others with him to support his habit.

Check your local regulations. I found out the hard way in Michigan, that helmets and eye protection are REQUIRED BY LAW while riding on public property (including on frozen lakes). We are also required to have an ORV sticker. Also, only one person can ride (there is one ATV that is built for two riders I think by Bombardier) because there are technically only one set of pegs even on the 4WD models with foot platforms. That lesson cost me fifty bucks!
Actually I prefer to use one. I have an open faced version but really wished I had an actual snowmobiling type for winter. They can be found at any ATV, Snowmobile, or Motorcycle dealer.

If you are just going to buy 1 helmet then I would buy a moto-cross type helmet and goggles. Then you can wear it in comfort all year long.

I think a snowmobile helmet would be too hot in the summer.

A lot of guys wear moto-cross helmets snowmobiling because you don't have to worry about fogging up the shield.

Dennis Kirk is a good plce to buy a helmet usually.

Dave

Full face helmets also keep more dust off your face during the summer but, they are hotter. There's drawbacks to both styles if only one helmet is purchased.

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 02-03-2004).]

I always wear a helmet, after you have been hit by a low branch, or a rock from the machine in front of you. You will know why. I wear mine all year so I go for the open face and goggles. But there are times when a face sheild would be nice, like when there are alot of bugs. Good luck

My 2 cents....
I like the motocross style helmets with goggles. They work great for summer and winter as well. For winter get the breathe defletcor, helps keep warm and goggles never fog up. I like HJC - $80.00 plus goggles. great set-up.... Good luck

I just picked up a HJC full-face snowmobile helmet with flip-up shield for my son's for winter use, on sale for $89. Also got a motocross style helmet for summer use for $69. It cost me $50 for a pair of goggles that would fit over my prescription glasses, for use ice fishing if it is really cold out on the ride. Got the goggles at a ski shop.

I think the motorcross helmets work good. I've got a HJC motorcross helmet with goggles and a breath deflector for winter. If you get a motorcross helmet and goggles get the quick disconnect straps for it. I got my helmet at dennis kirk scratch and dent real cheap. It was just last years model nothing was wrong with it.