• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

shotgun scope mounting

Nilsfisher

I have a rifled barrel with fixed sights on my shotgun. I want to add a scope. I don't have a cantilever mount so I want to mount the scope to the shotgun receiver. I know that were the barrel meets the receiver, it can move, so since the barrel and scope will not be connected together, the scope might go out a little after shooting a couple of times. My question is, has anyone else done this and if so, has this been an issue with accuracy?

Thanks.

You can have the receiver tapped for mounting a scope. As long as the barrel is tightened down properly with should seat in the same location and not move on any shotgun I am familiar with. What brand and model is yours?

They also make these which allow you to take it off and not drill the receiver.

full-35430-39682-download.jpg

My Mossberg 500 12 guage was drilled and tapped at the factory for scope use. Are you sure yours isn't? I am consistantly accurate to 80yds with mine. It stays dead-on year to year with a scope mounted this way. I have read over and over this is the optimal setup for a shotgun. Some even "pin" their barrels if you want to keep your shotgun setup for a slug gun only. The barrel never moves then, and the shotgun is even more accurate.

If you like the barrel you have, you can mount a cantilever mount to the barrel by soldering it on. The cantilever scope mount is available from Brownells in IA. You will need a propane torch and some silver solder, the type plumbers use, a little flux and some fine steel wool.You just need to remove the bluing and rear sight from where your placing the mount and sweat some solder to the barrel and heat up the mount and press them together. Only takes a half hour or so. The bluing can be touched up or you could put a camo finish on it. I haven't looked but there is probably a Utube video showing how its done. I did this to a Hastings barrel for my Remington 870 back in the 1990's and that mount is still going strong.

The advantage of having the barrel and scope with the cantilever mount is you can quickly swap out barrels and go from a bird gun to a deer gun with no loss of accuracy, and not having to keep track of small screws if you use the gun for more than deer hunting.