• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV winches

Big Dave2

I have been told not to buy a superwinch because they are junk. Does anyone else hold this same opinion of the super winch?

Also what size winch is considered bare minimum for a 400 ATV? I see there are 1500 lb winches that are pretty cheap. Would that work if all I want to do is work a plow, possibly get myself unstuck and maybe pull a deer out of the woods?

Thanks,
Dave

I would not get any thing under a 2000 lbs winch.Think of it this way, your 400 still wieghts as much as a 500 or 700, it has less power than those machines, it will still be buried in a lot of thick sucking type mud that will make the machine wieght even more.
I personaly wouldn't get any thing less than 2500lbs but the 2000 should do well in most stuations.

As for brand. I too have heard nothing but bad about the Super winch, but I never have used one.
I have the Warn brand, only used it twice so far but it worked flawlessly.Pulled two machines out of a mud hole and pulled a deer up a steep cliff.

Benny

I have one of those cheapie 1500 pound winches from Northern. So far - so good. I paid about 120 bucks.

I use it to run my plow, and we used it to hang elk and mulies in the meat pole last fall.

It works just fine for my application, but I don't go mud bogging or anything like that.

I have been satisfied with it. If it ever goes south on me, I'll up grade to somethng better.

I have a 2000lb on my 400 and it seems to do a good job. Mine is a Warn, but I have a friend that has a Ramsey and that seems to do fine also. He bought his off HSOList and it has a cordless remote which can be handy if you are winding up your cable and you're by yourself. I 'm not sure how the good the Superwinches are but Warn and Ramsey seem to be good. I have used mine a lot to pull myself and others out and they are a lifesaver. When I got it I wasn't sure if I would need it, but now I wouldn't own an ATV without one.

Thanks for the helpfull info guys. I probably wouldn't use it very much so maybe I will try the smaller superwinch since it is cheap. I never thought about trying HSOList though..............

Thanks,
Dave

I have the 1500 super winch. I have had it for 6 years. I replaced the cable on it one time. I do agree that it is small and if it ever died on me I would get a bigger one. I have used it for plowing, lifting deer up the meat pole and an occasional way to get unstuck. It has never not pulled me out, but it has been close a few times. It is amazing how much heavier a machine gets when it is in the mud. I would buy another super winch as I have had no problems with mine. I think a $6.00 cable every few years is ok.