• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thanksgiving Crappies!!!

556LaGue

The 2013/2014 hard water season has started in my neck of the woods! After gathering with the family for turkey day, 2 good buddies of mine joined me on one of our favorite local lakes for some evening crappie action. Over the years we have got to know this lake good so it didnt take long to find a spot. Walked out and found the edge of our weed bed we normally fish. Cut a few holes in the 6 inches of ice we have, popped up my clam 6 pack, fired up the sunflower and started in!!

This lake in particular is an "all day" kind of lake where you can go out any time of the day and catch some panfish. But when that magic hour comes around, right before dark. The crappies go into a feeding frenzy and the action is usually hot till dark!

Which was the case tonight! We had a blast in that magic hour with crappies coming up the hole one after another! They weren't the normal slabs that this lake normally produces, but they were nice fish. Ranging anywhere from 8 to 12 inches. We caught these fish with a simple glow jig and a small minnow,while using our marcums and vexilars to pinpoint what depth they were running in and how they reacted to our cadence. Most of the fish we caught were in 20+ fow. I stuck with the dead stick method while my buddies used bobbers to watch the bite.

What a way to break the ice for the year and get the dust off my gear! Unfortunately my phone died on me while fishing so I didn't get pictures to share. I will be sure to have my camera in hand on our next trip out! I will be out Saturday and possibly Sunday so my next post should be full of pictures! Until then, stay safe out there!!! The big lakes are still pretty thin!

Yea it was a great day all around! Couldn't have asked for a better Thanksgiving!! Good food and good friends! The fishing put the icing on the cake for this guy. Good times for sure. With only more to come!! Going to some lakes this weekend that hold some very nice picture-worthy fish so I will be posting on Sunday night again.

Ok Jimmy! Here's just a few from last weekend. The original post is on the ice team forum under: early ice in northern Mn. Small lake, big fish! I am hoping to get out today so I might have a few more stories n pictures to share! IT IS COLD ROUND HERE!! full-45618-40089-img_20131201_112927_065

full-45618-40090-img_20131201_082927_360

full-45618-40091-img_20131201_124612_129

full-45618-40092-img_20131201_113146_654

full-45618-40093-img_20131201_144110_823

full-45618-40094-part_1385923319402_1.jp

full-45618-40095-resizedimage95138594284