• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

plows

jasongp99

Jason,
Here's one thread where we discussed plows.

http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/Forum56/HTML/000073.html

Also, for staters, if you click on the "search" link just above your post, and enter "plow" for the search, you'll find a number of other discussion threads on the subject.

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 01-30-2004).]

I recently bought a 48 inch "deluxe" Polaris brand plow. It was purchased slightly used off of hsolist with the manual lift and all manuals. It seems to take forever to install and sits so low to the ground. It has been used once this year and I'm planning to sell it next fall. I guess compared to the 8.5ft. pro plow there's no comparison.
I bought the receiver hitch for the machine and now I've got to take it off every time the plow goes on. At least the plow was under half the price of a new one.

dougger222, that plow is a pain. but they redesigned them now. Whole new system. The glacier plow goes on the machine in just a few seconds. Only down side is you need a winch.

jasonp99,

I would recomend getting just a straight blade. The v-plow is to much of a pain. We had one on our demo unit and would up welding extra steel to the rods that hold the blade halves in place. plus it really only works well if you doing a lot of narrow sidewalks. but a 48 to 50 inch blade does the same job.

------------------
ride safe, wear a helmut, stupid hurts

If you get'em serviced, wash'em first.

I have a 60" Glacier plow set up and I can't believe mounting could be any easier. Drive right on to the system and hook up. Under a minute just like to brochure claims. With the 60" straight blade, you can have it angled all the way and still be wider than your wheels. I do not believe a whinch is madatory, but sure makes it easy. Just my $.02.

My uncle just picked up a Sportsman 400 with the plow and winch from the dealership. He said the plow attaches on the front of the unit and is a breeze to put on and take off.
I may keep the plow for the four wheeler for when I need to bank around the fish house before I can take the plow truck out.
Other than that it's a waste of time.

I bought a 60 in warn plow and a warn 3000 lb winch from onlyatv.com and the total with shipping included was $750. They were great people to deal with (negotiable) and a very reasonable price. The plow mount was simple to install (about 5 minutes on 450 foreman ES) hooks up in about 2 minutes. Also has five plow angles as opposed to the three angles most plows have.

I have a 60 inch cycle country plow with manual raise lower. Overall, I am very happy, it seems to work really well. Angles left or right with just a quick spring loaded release, and works great for plowing my driveway and the private road that I live on. Goes on/off very easily with 2 quick release pins, and one clevis. Personally, I replaced the pins that it came with for something easier to take on/off, as I like to take the plow off when I am hauling it around.

Sledhead -
I think that I remember from a previous post that you work in an ATV dealership. I would appreciate your opinion of the standard 60 inch Glacier Plow blade vs the 60 inch commercial grade blade. The price difference is about $60 but the commercial blade comes with the rubber snow deflector on the top of the blade, which is a $30 item. Polaris advertizes the comercial blade as being .25" thick and thus has to be stronger and weigh more than the standard blade. If I went with the standard 60" blade and added the snow deflector for $30, wouldn't another $30 spent on the commercial blade be well spent? Some people talk about adding weight to the standard blade to help scraping in hard snow conditions. This wouldn't be necessary with the heavier blade and the commercial blade would be harder to bend if you hit something. I guess I am thinking that the commercial blade might be the best way to go - - - - are there any reasons why I wouldn't like the heavier blade?
Thanks!