• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where to go

bfisherman11

In July, 2014 I want to take my dad on a fishing trip. For years we used to go to Canada up by Ear Falls (Lac Seul) because we like to walleye fish. I think when we first started going the limit was 6 that we could take home then dropped to 3.. Anyhow, that's a long way to go for 3 fish (to take home). I know there is more to the trip than what you catch but I also know I am driving past a lot of great walleye fishing right here in the US.

I got bit by the archery bug and bowhunting back in 1995 so my big fishing trips were replaced with remote bowhunting trips. My dad took me fishing all the time when I was younger. I am 54 now and he is 75. While we have the time and our health it's time for me to pay him back.

I have always wanted to fish Lake in the Woods and Kabetogama. For this trip I am thinking about one of these lakes.

Which would you choose?

I see a LOT of resorts on Kab for the size. I am a bit worried in July when we can go, that Kab might be over crowded with boats. Still I like all the islands on Kab and like I said I have always wanted to try Kab.

A friend of mine is recommending a place on Lake in the Woods in Williams, MN on Big Traverse Bay. He says not so many islands in this area but still good walleye fishing. I have always heard good things about Lake in the Woods so this is also a place I think we should strongly consider.

Years ago we fished Leech Lake in MN, that was nice but I was young and not as experienced so it never produced walleye like Lac Seul did for me. I am guessing there are better places in MN and that is why I am looking around.

So, between Kab and LW which would you pick? Are my concerns about Kab warranted?

We have our own boat. Its a deep V Smoker Craft Big Fisherman. It's 16' with a 40HP Force. I have had it in some choppy water (not that I like that, ha) so it does pretty good. Anyhow, just thought I would mention that because it is better than many typical camp rentals.

I appreciate any other recommendations too.

Thanks,

Bill

I've only fished lake of the woods in the winter and is awesome, but if you are looking for numbers to take home, I would recommend devils lake in north dakota. Five per day with ten possession so you would be taking ten home. The walleye fishing is great along with northerns and write bass. Run into a school of whities and you could catch more in one day then a season of constant fishing.

I'd normally vote for Lake of the Woods without question, but a 16' boat with a 40 horse isn't going to cut it up there, especially on big traverse bay.

I go up to LOW fairly often with a buddy, he's been fishing it since '95 and has a 20' warrior with a 175 hp and we are kept off the lake on average 1 out of 3 days up there(we usually go up for 3 day weekends), especially during the windy times of year.

I would hesitate to recommend LOW for that reason, there's a good chance you will be kept off the lake, of course you could always fish the rainy river on those days. No experiences with Kab though.

I don't think you can beat the potential of LOW though, tons of numbers and usually a lot of good sized fish in the summer.

If you are driving that far I would strongly consider Devils Lake, ND. I spent some time up there over the past summer and can honestly say that lake is my favorite - and I've fished a lot of water all over MN and the Dakotas. Walleyes are pretty easy to come by and non-resident licenses are dirt cheap. You can also get into good numbers of jumbo perch, pike, and white bass.

My 16' tiller boat with 70 HP handles the lake just fine as there are plenty of access points and protected bays/islands to break up the wind.

I am origionally from northern MN, but moved to Western ND. If you are driving that far I wouldnt hesitate to fish Devils Lake. IMO it is one of the best lakes I have ever fished. That includes Rainy, LOW, Kab, Red, Namakan and plenty of lakes in Ontario.

Your boat should be plenty big enough for Devils and there are plenty of spots to get out of the wind. You can fish it many different ways, pulling raps, pitching jigs, slip bobbers, etc. There is no shortage of fish on Devils either. Lots of 12"-16" eyes, jumbo perch, pike, white bass, etc. This fishery is simply amazing.

I would reccommend staying with Woodland resort if you can get it. Their service is amazing and the staff will give you a really good idea of where to get on fish. With that said there are other very nice resorts as well in various parts of the lake.

Another option with a smaller boat on Lake of the Woods is to go to the Northwest Angle. You can even buy a Canadian license and fish both the Canadian and US side of Lake of the Woods. It's a lot less choppy up there and a 16 foot boat shouldn't be a problem. Lots of islands and structure to fish.