• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who's doing the muzzy season?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went this morning. One single track going through the bean field that's cut. Sat in my blind on the backside of the field watching the funnel and nothing. Sat until 9 then I checked the funnel for tracks and not one single track in there. Time to find a new spot.

Traveled for a family get together yesterday down in Renville county. Saw 4 dear in the middle of the afternoon feeding in a field. Had to slow down on the way home to not hit 3 crossing the highway. That was about 5:15.

Food plots are like gold right now ! We are seeing lots of deer , but still waiting for the big bucks to show up

I bet certain crop fields are on fire now too if you can find the right ones.

I have some Stand Hunter Extreme Coveralls on the way I ordered a few days ago, can't wait to try them out in this weather once they get here.

This morning felt downrite balmy at -2 with no wind. Sat for 2 hours, nothing seen and didn't see many fresh tracks on the way in. I got down to look for concentrated fresh sign. Jumped 5. Missed a bedded doeblush Will get back out there friday afternoon and saturday morning/night. About a foot of snow in the woods makes it tough to see far in the thick stuff. full-5079-40239-downsized_1212130803a.jp

Got out this morning, was able to take a couple hours off of work. In the stand by 7:00, just at first light. I didn't kick anything out on the way in, saw lots of tracks and some bigger beds in the snow. Needless to say I was optimistic. About 7:45 a 6 pointer came strolling in. He winded me and trotted off. I was after a doe anyway as I already burned my buck tag during firearm season. About 8 I notice a deer above me, its a doe, 60 yds and going away, I didn't feel comfortable with that shot so I let her walk as another doe came down the bluff following the same path as the 1st. I still didn't like any of my shots on the 2nd so I passed, and then noticed the first doe had come back and was now only 50 yards away, lower on the bluff and positioning itself for a much better shot. Aimed, fired, she dropped and slid down the bluff. All happened very quick and was a lot of fun. Love the late season in the woods with the cold and snow.

My dad scored a nice doe this week during the cold weather. He shot it with his new TC. Very pumped. While it was the first year in 5 years he didn't drop a Pope and Young MN whitetail. He was quick to remind me he did pretty good considering he's almost 70 and has major back issues. He shot one with his bow, rifle and smoke pole this year. Very happy for him and glad he still pushes through all the elements, good times....

20131212_192618_zps2eced51e.jpg

I sat on a woods/field corner this evening. There were quite a few tracks/dig outs in the alfalfa. the last hour was exciting as a fawn came running by followed by a forky. Later 2 fawns and another small buck came out. They all passed within 15 yards of me. At last light a nice doe came by, I was going to drop her but her back was all ruffled and she was looking behind her, I let her walk by incase Mr. Big was trailing. he wasn't. Tomorrow she won't be so lucky....

I came up empty this year, but had a fun muzzy season. Had a doe come within a few steps of a spitting distance shot, but she stopped behind a big blow down. She may have came across my scent from where I came,so instead of taking those last few steps, she backed out. She slunk away, ne never presenting a good shot.

I noticed she was favoring a front leg. I got down to check and found a drop of blood. Tracked her for a few hundreds yards in the swamp, losing and then finding her trail again. The wound must have been minor, because there were only a few very small drops.

Did a drive today and took two shots, each around 50 yards. Clean misses on running deer. One in our group took a doe, and another had a really nice buck run past him at 10 yards. No shot, but a good memory.

Here's to next year. Hope the deer make it through ok...

Tag soup for me. I had my chances though. I passed on 11 fawns/small bucks and 1 nice doe in the 5 times I made it out. By far the coldest season I have ever been a part off. Not sure If it was ever about zero when I was able to get out. Still enjoyed it tremendously and looking forward to a few more sits with the bow. I suppose now Mr. Big will hang up about 50 yards away!