• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2004 Rancher 400AT

Fishing Junky

I bought one 2 weeks ago and have put 23 miles in the woods with it so far. I really like this machine so far. It has done anything asked of it. Anyone else have this wheeler? If so, what are your thoughts on it? Thanks, Junky...........

------------------
A fishing guide is just a fishing junky who takes others with him to support his habit.

Congrats. They are nice little wheelers. I just hope we have a place to ride them in the future. A month after I bought mine, the Duluth City Counslers banned them in the city limits. Go figure. If you want to install an aftermarket part to give you the option of two or four wheel drive, install the Warn 424. Junky........

Hey Lund. Don't know yet about the power in mud, as I bought it only two months ago, so have been only in snow. My atv is the Rancher AT. It has a 400cc engine and is an auto transmission. Also I can manually shift it using the electric shift buttons. 2800 seems like a real good price to me, especially if it is great shape. Hey Sod, only got 70 miles on her and lovin' it already. Have a good one guys, Junky.......

i was wandering how does your atv do in the snow if you get stuck does it lose any power or does it just keep spinning and do you think i could put 26 or 27 inch tires on my 350 the stock tires are 24

Lund -
I can't tell you how much power loss you would see with the bigger tires on your machine, but most people report a loss in power, speed and acceleration. You will definitely gain ground clearance though.

I would guess that you can find a way to make the larger tires fit. I would suggest that if you are serious about changing tire size, do a search for "ATV Connection Magazine". They have a good message board with alot of people with far more experience than I. They can tell you what you would need for spacers and lift kits to fit those big tires under your machine. Without some suspension modifications, you will have problems with tires rubbing your fenders when you turn or hit a hard bump.

Hey Lund, Sod has a good idea about the forum. It is a good one. If I updated my tires, I probably wouldn't go over 25's. Thats' just my opinion though. I've been through some snow, approx. 12 inches and that was about as much as the machine could handle without gettin stuck. I wouldn't worry about your power. In low gear, you probably have all the power your going to need. Do you have a high/low range on your wheeler?

i have the shift yea my tires i have on it now are 24 i was thinking of maybe getting 26 or 27 mud tires for it but i just don't want to get somewere were i will lose power and just sit there and not beable to spin do you think them tires i want to get are to big or do you think i could go bigger

Nice wheeler Big Fish. Your gonna have fun with that one. Lund. I really don't feel qualified on the subject of those tires you want to put on your wheeler. Would hate to give you wrong info. Like I said, I wouldn't put over 25,s on mine. I'm not going to use my wheeler for muddin'. More of a trail rider here. Ocassional mud is fine for me, but I'm not going looking for it. If you leave or send your email, I can send some links to some good atv forums. Most know more than I do. Junky............

yea i really don't go looking for mud neither but i do like to go in it but i usually use my atv for hunting and fishing and i guesse the more i think of it i really don't need really out ragious tires any way like you said 25 inch tires are good enough if you got plunnty of traction but here is my eamil any way and i will take a look at those web sites [email protected]

Lund, I would pass on putting anything taller than 25's on your 350.

A kid of a friend of mine was in the same boat; the kid had to have 27's on his 300 Honda. I warned him (like others here have warned you) he'd lose power. He didn't believe me until I gave him some 25's to use for awhile. That was one happy kid after he saw how 25's got his machine through MANY places his stock tires couldn't; without losing power. He didn't want 27's any more.

I own a 350 rancher and have 26 inch tires on it. i have seen that it may lose some power with the bigger tires but not enough to make a difference. a freind of mine tried to put 27 inch tires on a rancher and it wouldnt even pull itself down the road in 5th gear. 25 inch tires will work fine but the 26 inch tires give you alittle more clearance and shouldnt hurt a thing.

I have had my Honda 400 for a full two years now and it just doens't stop. I've hauled deer, fishouses etc. etc. It's tough and reliable. I especially like the way it handles my Otter Lodge. Drive up, drill holes, if you don't like it there, move, no sweat. Make sure you get your 100 mile service though. By-the-by water up to the tailpipe, no problem, mud up to the hubs, no problem.

------------------

yea the itp tires are what i was looking at but right now i have 24 inch tires on it now and 25 is most likely the biggest i will put on it and i don't know if i will put 26 inch tires on it or not but all i am going to use it for is hunting and fishing but like to go in mud once in awhile