• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Aspen Logging

TRZ II

I haven't bought a timber sale since 08, but I think the average price per cord for popple is still about $25 per cord. You can figure on maybe 25 cords to an acre as a good start if it is pretty much all popple in there. We have cut 30 cord to an acre stuff but it really has to be tall. So lets say you have 300 cords of aspen on the stump and you get $25 for stumapage that would be $7500 to you. Ballpark of coarse. Other variables come into play, such as ease of access, mileage to the mill etc. Get a couple different loggers in there to bid it out. And research it, the more you know about it dealing with the logger will go easier.

Thanks! I own an 80 and it is time to open up some space. I also want to plant some food plots and other things and might as well get some cash for it. My "findings" on the inner web gave about the same info. Especially helps to pay my HIGH taxes.....

We just lined up a logger for our deer land and are getting $20 per cord for popple. We don't have a lot but over our 80 acres we have about 20 acres to be logged and a DNR Stewardship plan estimated a total number of cords to be maybe 20 total. I figure we will maybe get around $500 but the main thing is to rejuvenate the popple. It all depends on how thick and good the stand is.

I was thinking the logger might be willing to clear an area if he lowered my take a few hundred bucks? Or clean the whole area a bit better than usual. Or after the work I would hire someone else to do it, but a dozer would be the way to go.

There are a few things that may come into play here.

What area is the land in? The distance to a mill and/or the logger can be a factor. The operator has to haul whatever equipment they have to the site then transport the wood to the mill. Those distances may influence what a logger is willing to pay. If you are a significant distance away from the mill and the logger doesn't have another sale in the area, 10 - 12 acres may not make it economical for the them.

How old is the aspen and what kind of shape is it in? If it is 40 - 60 year old aspen you probably have some valuable pulp wood. If it is 70+ and/or heavily conked may not be too terribly valuable.

If you are interested in having a stewardship plan written for your land you may want to contact a local USDA NRCS office and/or MN DNR office. The NRCS may also be able to point you in the direction towards some grants to have the plan written and/or for some of the management activity. The DNR may be able to help you with the contract for the logging.

I was watching north american whitetail and they said deer love walnut trees over acorns. what are your thoughts Candiru? do the deer like them?

I can't say they don't eat them , but I have never seen them do it or noticed any sign of deer eating them. I only have 4 mature walnuts on my property. They do not seem to produce the quantity that oaks do.

All good advice above - I would add one thing. Don't let anyone start logging without a written contract specifying exactly how you want the harvest area treated, what the payment parameters are, and last but not least you need proof of their insurance. You want both workman's comp. certificate and proof of liability. Handshakes with the most reputable neighbor you have mean nothing when a tragic accident happens on the site and lawyers get involved...............Many years of experience as a tree farmer and procurement forester go into this response.

Deer do like the walnuts, but I wouldn't say they prefer them over acorns. DIfferent oak varieties drop acorns at different times and deer prefer white acorns over red acorns, so its more likely the deer eat the walnuts when they are ready to eat and it happens at a time when acorns aren't ripe.

I completely agree with Crowwing's advice. Everyone is friendly and neighborly until they get hurt or crash into something and no one offers to pay. A good contract is just an insurance policy for a good job.