• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Boots recommendations

Turk

Guys,

I am looking into buying some new "sorel" style boots (where the inner liner can be removed - not a walking upland boot) for stand hunting and ice fishing. What recommendations do you have?

Not really too excited over the massive heavy ones clunkers I have seen, but better I suppose its better than my numb toes that i got yesterday sitting in the deer stand. smile

Thanks!

Turk

Turk I have the alpha ice kings and standard ice kings and both are great for long hours on stand. The neoprene boots from Muck tend to be pretty warm as well as the Lacrosse 1200 gram rubber boots but you still get into the bulky, heavy boot when walking out. I hunted in 800 gram boots this season with the footbed warmers and they did well for me into the teens but in the single digits this past weekend I deferred to the bigger heavier boots. If you don't want to sacrifice lightweight comfort for cold weather heaviness I'd look into boot blankets, which are the insulated booties you put on over your boots while on stand. Less weight from a walking perspective because you could wear standard boots and carry out the boot blankets and throw them on once on stand. Downside is that they are one more thing to carry in with you. They seem to work well for my kids this past weekend in Wisc with single digit temps in the am.

Tunrevir~

I had the same dilemma 2 years ago and decided to go with Steger Camuk Extremes light weight and warm with removable liners so they can dry out if needed. I hunted North of Hayward WI this last weekend and cold feet were not a problem for me hands yes face yes feet no.

Mwal

I have a set of Cabela's Predator Extremes. ...

Ditto.

I have a pair of these and they have been the best boots for cold weather. They have 1,200 grams of Thinsulate Ultra and 9mm Texel liners. When I first got them, I tried them on in the house with a normal pair of cotton socks and the instant I put them on my feet started getting hot. I can stand on the ice all day in below zero temperatures and not only do my feet not get cold they stay very warm. My feet also stay warm and dry standing in water/slush on the lake.

They are on sale ($40 off) until Dec. 4th, so now would be a good time to pull the trigger if you are going to get a pair of these.

I got a pair of Cabela's Inferno Pac-Boots a couple years ago and love 'em. 2000 grams of Thinsulate, waterproof. light and comfortable. I dropped a pair of Dr. Scholl's into each one and they are even more comfortable. Can stand in snow, water, slush etc. all day and not worry about getting wet or cold. Really nice boots.

Another fan of the Cabelas predator boots. Yes they are big and a little clunky but they are pretty light and keep your feet super warm. Never had any issues once I made the switch. One pair of wool socks and you are set for any conditions.

boots_Cab_predator.jpg

Also have the Cabelas Predators. My liners are getting a bit worn out after 4-5 seasons of deer hunting and ice fishing. I have never had cold feet, but my feet were 'cool' the Wisconsin deer opener after a few hours in the stand. New liners will fix that. Any amount of walking and your feet will never be cold.

The only drawback to these is that they are huge. Not so much heavy....just 'clunky'.

All pack boots these days are more like ski boots if they provide good cold weather protection. After years of coaxing, I bought Steger Mukluks and wish I would have years ago. The AMAZING thing about them is they are just as comfy while ice fishing as they are in the cabin.