• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bombadier owners, what's good on 'em? what's bad on 'em?

wall eyell be

Looking at Bombadier Traxters. Would like to hear from the voice experience.

How are they for starting in the cold? (I'll be using it mostly for ice fishing)

What do you think of reliability of the engines and transmissions? (It will at times be carrying 500lbs of people while pulling 500 lbs of gear)

Before I shell out a pile-o-cash I'd like to know if there are any problems analgous to the poor engines that 1990's model Artic Cats had.

The Rotax motor in the Traxter provides some very good power for pulling. I can't comment on the cold start capabilities since all have their problems especially when maybe "bad fuel" and owner maintenance might be the culprits; but Canadians are familiar with cold weather smile.gif

Some, I inlcuded, find the shifting of the Traxter to be clanky and noisy while others like it. The auto shifting mode is somewhat unpredicatable as to when the shift will happen. The Traxter is a good machine, it's just not as smooth as shift as a CVT machine.

The Visco Lok shouldn't give you any problems either.

I have a 2000 Traxter. Mine has always started with the exception of opening deer season this year. My battery wasn't in the greatest of shape and it wouldn't turn over. I simply pushed it off the bed of the truck, and hooked it up to the truck and off she went! Didn't have any problems from then on. It does have a pull on it, but for the life of me, and I'm not a small guy by any means, I can not turn that engine over by hand, its way too hard.

This thing will pull!! I pulled 10x20 houses on skids with it on Mille Lacs, w/o chains. I admit the chains would have really helped once a guy hits a patch of glare ice. But depending on your needs, this wheeler will out pull most on the market today. I really like the walk through design, most guys give it dump until they are all bundeled up in there cold weather gear and can't get their leg over the seat. Its also really nice when you are hauling extra people on it during the ice season, makes for getting on and off really easy. The large fuel tank is nice for trail riding and the front "trunk" area is nice for gear, they even put a drain plug in there for the really wet holes, I have since added a seal kit to the lid.

The fuel gauge on this machine is dump, mine broke just outside of warranty but with the large capacity I don't need it anyhow, they may have fixed this since I bought mine. If you do get one I would strongly encourage you to by the CD they have with the owners manual and shop manuals on it. Really helps a guy understand the machine, plus there are some instruction in there for reprogramming the shifting. The "hardness" and "softness" of the shift patterns are programmable. There is also an onboard diagnostic program that is detailed out in the shop manual too, well worth the money.

I added a 60" cylce county plow this year and this machine will push a lot of snow!

Over all, this machine does what I want and then some, with a few minor problems, I am happy with it overall, and hopefully I will have it for many years to come!

Grabs, nice to hear/see ya again.

To highlight one of Grab's mentions, the shift pattern is programable as to different shift patterns. I don't know how or if dealers alter them for owners. That's a good question for me to find an answer.

Reprogramming the shift pattern alters the rpm the shift take place at, not the hardness or softness of the actually, "shift".

I have a Traxter also and I am very pleased with it. My fuel gauge broke also but as Graabs has said with the large tank you really don't need it. Mine has always started in the cold although I probably only tested it to about zero. I like the manual choke right on the front by the key. My traxter pull in all the logs for our log cabin (logs were on wagon) and it was on a cleared path through the woods and not a real road. The low gear popped out of gear initially but I had the dealer adjust it and it is fine now. These machines are heavy so make sure you get a winch for it cause you ain't jerking it out by hand if you get stuck. I really like the walk through design and the front storage compartment. It holds a vexilar just fine for me when I'm ice fishin. I would get another one if mine were stolen or went up in flames without question.

Actually you can change the hardness and softness of the shift, this was one thing I found out after buying the shop manual on CD.

I have a .pdf of just this sheet if anyone wants to see it, reply here with your e-mail addy.

Just spoke with a friend of mine here about his Traxter Max (2up). He's never had any problem with his Traxter starting, pull the choke, turn the key, starts and idles every time.

Idle is another good point, I have only owned this machine so I can't speak for others, but the idle adjustment on this machine is with in an easy reach and you can adjust it with your finger tipes, no tools required! The walk-through design also makes for easy access to the engine and its workings once the seat is removed, really designed well from this stand point. I guess you could say it was designed to be fixed?

[This message has been edited by Graabs (edited 01-13-2004).]

Thanks for the input guys. My wife really likes the factory-original-equipment 2up. (and I ain't complainin', because she has now chosen a nicer ATV than I would have)

If a broken gas gauge is the worst of the problems, I'll be ecstatic. The gas gauge is also the only thing that's broken on my boat and lawn mower, so it's familiar enough territory that I'm comfortable there.