• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV sprayers and ATV disc harrows

Mark Christianson

Yea, Yea
Its early I know, but I have a lot of things to get ready for some habitat improvement projects this coming spring.

What experiences are out there with ATV sprayers and the discs? Which ones work and which ones stink?
I am currently eyeballing the NorthStar 26–Gallon ATV Broadcast/Spot Sprayer at Northern Tool.
The disc I am looking at is the King Kutter ATV Disc Harrow(or something like that).

Thanks FM'ers

I have a Worksaver Flip Over Gang Disc - they sell them at Northern Tool and Equipment and at Cabelas, among other places. L&M Supply in Grand Rapids had for $100 less than I've seen anywhere else. It works pretty good, but it could be heavier. I've used it A LOT over the last 3 years putting in food plots in what used to be woods, in virgin ground that has never been tilled. Takes a lot of passes, but it cuts into the ground and through the turf and roots if you take your time and make several passes. This past year I made a plywood platform that fits over the disc blades, and I put up to 250 pounds of weight on in the form of 50 pound bags of fertilizer and lime. Makes a huge difference.

I also have a 25 gallon rack mounted sprayer that I got from Norhtern Tool. It works fine, but this year I'm going to add spray booms and use more herbicide in my food plots.

Hope this helps, good luck.

This kind of stuff is always at the forefront of my agenda -- ice fishing is just something to do until the snow melts and I can get back to work in the woods!

Where are you doing your habitat improvements? I have some property about 40 miles NW of Grand Rapids that I try to manage for wildlife (mostly deer).

Ottertail County
In little known Nidaros township.
Its the farm my great grandparents homesteaded.
Kinda funny. My family worked the land to remove trees and cover so it could be farmed, and here I go planting stuff to cover it back up. smile.gif
We have literally several govt initatives going right now.
DNR, USFWS, FSA, etc....
Very fun.

Sounds like good stuff you've got going on.

I can't get "real" farm equipment into my property (too wooded, only trails, no roads), so I have to use the atv implements. If you could get a tractor with a disc or plow to your spots that would definately be the way to go, especially for breaking the ground. The planting, spraying, fertilizing, etc. isn't too bad with the atv, but the basic ground tillage would go much better with bigger, heavier equipment.

Can you give me any pointers on getting government incentives? I'm waiting on the DNR to get a Forestry Stewardship Plan, and I think I'll have access to some programs once the Plan is done, but I've been waiting for over a year and they're behind due to the funding cuts. Other than that, I haven't found any programs that I could get for woods and deer. Any ideas or suggestions?

Perch & Biglakeba$$,
I've enjoyed reading your posts. We have 80 acres up by LOW (wooded/low) and want to do some plots and also the Stewardship program. We haven't taken the first step yet other than getting the phone number for the stewardship program. If you have some info. you'ld like to share I would love reading it. I too have been looking into harrow discs. My e-mail is mheitz at lakestatecoin dot com
Thanks!!!!!

Thanks for the e-mails. This sure is fun stuff to do, I just wish it weren't a 6 hour drive to our land. It seems that when we go there we have to fish or hunt something and that takes time away from land projects. Such a problem to have.

I could work on work stuff, or write emails about hunting. Tough decision ......

I hear you about the long drive, fivebucks. I have 4 hours to get to my property, but we have a cabin with all the rustic comforts of home so we use it a lot as a weekend retreat. The dog and I head into the woods, and my wife curls up by the fire with a book and a bottle of wine.

Yesterday I thought my Stewardship Plan with the DNR was on hold indefinately. Today I got a message that they gave the job to a consulting forester on their payroll. Tonight he called me and asked if he could walk through my property tomorrow. Hot ****, I like progress!

Howdy all. Got into this forum via a link in a fishing forum (ditch riding ban). They pulled the same dump-pie in Washington Co. this year. Anywhoos, I was wondering about the rack sprayers and how they would work for clearing ATV trails on my land in Wisc.

I was looking at the one Northern had and wondered if it would work on my 4x4 Scrambler 500 with the tube rear rack?

What does it need for power? What does it hold ect. I usually have a friend bring his tractor over and user the king kutter on it a couple times a summer. Would using a sprayer with roundup work better?

thanks
Mike
Blaine, MN

I have a 25 gallon rack mounted sprayer. It just sits on the rack and is held in place with 2 nylon straps with tension buckles. Seems like the mounting set-up is pretty versatile. It's pretty heavy when it's full so you want to make sure it's secure. I don't have spray booms but I plan to get them this year. The sprayer has 2 wires that get connected to the battery - once connected the pump automatically keeps the tank pressurized.

I doubt if Roundup would work for clearing trails. It will kill just about anything, but you'll still have dead weeds and brush there that you have to drive through. Roundup will kill it, but it won't get rid of it. I don't spray my trails - I cut them, or drag them, or scrape them with a skid loader.

Hope this helps. good luck.

Mark,
I want to do the same thing to about 1 acre piece at the back of my property. I need a food plot for the deer. Remind me sometime and we can chat about this!! Sounds like you could give me some advice.

Chuck

We can split the cost on the disc and sprayer!!! wink.gif

We will definitely be talking about this. I am getting some great info from our fellow FM'ers. I would be glad to drag some gear over and help out.
(That is if the big crappies aren't biting on my favorite lake near your house.)

Check out the Deer Hunting forum, there is a topic in there about food plot seed that is great.

[This message has been edited by biglakeba$$ (edited 01-28-2004).]

Thanks PerchJerker. My trails are already cleared but I was looking for something to keep them cleared. They mostly get overgrown with ferns and thorny vines. I was hoping to hit em with a roundup cocktail this spring to keep em open.