• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

atv belt vs. beltless

DRH1175

What are the differnces in beltless (honda) vs everyone else's belt drives. (polaris, Yammy, suzuki etc...) Is there a reason why everyone uses belts but honda? Are belts a problem waiting to happen? I can't decide between the Yamaha and honda and I guess the deciding factor is the belt. I am leaning towards the Yammy. But because Honda doesn't use belts That may be the way to go. Even though it does't have the feature I want. Locking Diff.

None of the 4 brands you mentioned make a bad wheeler. They are all really pretty good.
I looked at things the way you are when I purchased my 2004 Polaris. Here is what I found. The belt type has a more variable ratio than the gear type. The Polaris has the 2 speed range with Park position like a car and has true 4 wheel drive on demand that will lockup with just a fraction of a wheel turn. I have used mine to pull a fiber glass boat up a steep hill on dirt with no problem. THE DRAW BACK ---Polaris makes the suckiest pair of low beam headlights have or ever will suck. I replaced mine with a pair of 55 watt Blazers about $25.00 at Wal-Mart.A diffference of night and day.
While you checking things out, check the Polaris web site and look at the new 700 FUEL INJECTED Sportsman.

I don't like belts. I see how much abuse they take in my snowmobiles, but at least in a sled they can be changed in seconds. ATV's are sealed and not that easily repairable. My ATV pulls a lot more weight (fishhouses, boats, docks, lifts, tree stumps, etc...) and I've never stopped a gear transmission in the several machines my family has owned over the years.

I know a guy with a brand new Polaris ATP that has burned 2 belts in 300 miles of only trail riding. The dealer won't fix if it happens a third time, so he's pretty irked right about now.

In very simple terms, think of the Honda transmission to that of an automatic in an automobile; full of fluid to achieve the shifting properties.

The "belt" machines use a variable clutch and drive belt; just as in a snowmobile.

Belt drive machines can burn a belt, especially when you're working them in the wrong gear range (like pulling heavy loads while in High range). You can burn a spot in a belt if that happens, but in most cases it won't leave you stranded since the belt isn't broken. If you stay on the throttle, yes, you can snap a belt but I haven't seen too many of those in the belt drive machines.

ChuckN, I assume your buddy's dealer checked the alignment of the clutch. Two belts in 300 miles....whew, something or someone is wrong.

Also, the pulling capacity, when using a weight transfer sled, was way lower than that of say a Sportsman 500. And, I would much rather replace a $35 belt (when/IF needed) than to have a new tranny put in a Honda (when/IF needed). I would venture an over $1000 bill if that was the case. But, I haven't heard of any Honda tranny's going out though. Everything's a flip of the coin, I guess.

One other thing to check. Depending on what you want to use your wheeler for, if it is any kind of towing, (boat trailer,ect) check out the towing and tongue weight capacities specified by the manufacture. I did not like the thought of putting a heavy tongue weight on a hitch of a machine that has the axle tubes bolted to the differential with small diameter bolts. The independant rear suspension models may have an advantage here.

I think my friend has a lemon, it happens. The weirdest thing was the Polaris dealer said they would only fix the belt three times. He was informed of that as he was driving the ATV onto the trailer after purchase.... Something to ask before purchasing???

With the new belt drive systems out there the issue is pretty much moot none of them really have many issues. The Rincon dosn't have a low range and only three speeds forward. It is a great user friendly machine but will not be a workaholic. All the new models are pretty darn good and comes down to personal preference and ride style and use's. I have a 660 grizz and love it, my friend has a rincon and is equally pleased.

I am leaning towards the kodiak 450. I went and looked at them again last night. This time I sat on them. I like the steering and seat on the yamaha way better than the honda. It felt so good. I am really hooked on the locking diff. For pulling weight through snow I would have to bet it could only be a good thing. I havn't heard one bad thing about a belt on the yamaha's either. I know Polaris says they are the first one to develop it. But doesn't mean the yamaha didn't only make it better! I want something I can unload and go. Not have to worry about it for 15 years. Seems the yamaha could fit that bill. They make the best outboard, so who said they couldn't make the best atv as well.

I have put a lot of miles(more than 1000)on my '03 Kodiak 450 in all kinds of terrain for pleasure, work, and recreation... including lots of mud, inclines, pulling the boat, towing vehicles.. you name it. I have had no issues with the belt hot or cold.

When it does come time to replace the belt(even if not covered by warranty) I have no reason to complain .. I have gotten my $35 out of the belt.

I will happily replace a sealed belt vs. *splitting* another Honda transmission to make repairs..

If I remember my warranty right, Polaris will replace any belt that breaks, not just burns. A burned belt almost always caused by operator error - being in high range when you should be in low. Especially on the 4 stroke machines like the 500 and up that have gobs of low end torque.
This being said, don't confuse a snowmobile belt useage with an ATV useage. Snowmobiles have a pantsload more hp the engines are putting thru the belt than an ATV.
One more nugget - a friend of mine has a Rubicon. Nice machine, but still sits low I think and is a bit of a slug. Drum brakes are like old tech, too. He says that his manual says not to tow the machine. Don't know what that is all about, I suppose the trans doesn't like being turned without the engine running, like the automatic trans on newer cars (remember the good old days when you could tow an auto car to start it?).
I do like the new Kodiaks, I ride with guys with Polaris' and Yammies, the Kodiaks do well. You have the extra switching to do to lock the diff, but that's no big shake.

later

River

I started out with a 87 polaris, liked it. Then bought a 92 little 250, 2X4. On a friday leaving for lake 25 miles away, the computer brain quit in my 91 ford f-150 4X4 super cab. I was towing a 14ft. boat loaded down with camping stuff and had the 4-wheeler in the back of truck. unhooked the boat got my 4-wheeler out of the truck, pulled the boat to a near-by farm and asked if I could leave it there for awhile. I was just going to ride the 7 miles back to the house to get the car to come back and tow the pick-up and family back home. But I had a chain in the truck and decided to try pulling the truck. In low range it started moving. It pulled the truck all the way home, A little slow, but it made it, its the truth. I now have a sportsman 700, very happy. All ATV's have come a long ways, just a matter of preference.

------------------
"THE LANDING STRIP"

My sister in law owns 2 polaris sportsmans, and she told me that her dealer says the belts are sposed to be changed every 500miles....she always has one of them in the dealer for something...I have not heard that with other brands belt drive machines, from what ive heard others are different designs from the Polaris...Ive got a manual tranny myself and love it..

If you wanna play rough, in the mud etc, get a Honda..Period..The belt drives STINK in any wet situation, Ive had both..I miss the power/clearance, but love the 03 Rubicon I have...I might get stuck but at least I dont smoke the belt.....

grin.gif
The 700 sportsman that I have love's water and mud. I took the clutch cover off, then rubber gasket. Put blue marine silicone on then the gasket then more silicone put cover on, then checked the cover drain plug to see if it had a good O-ring. I have the big Vampire tire's and a slight lift kit. I put intake and exhaust extensions on also. As long as it can touch, it keeps going. I do get stuck once in awhile, as ALL ATV'S do.(just being honest)Right CHAD??? So if your going to get down wet and dirty, you have to prepare accordingly. Most belt driven atv's are'nt prepared from the factory for what some guy's do with they're machines. They build them for some light wetness, not submerging...!!!

------------------
"THE LANDING STRIP"

shadyzr, you're snorkeled huh dude! Now, I hope you put the snorkels to use in only the right places wink.gif

Remember guys, ATVs are built for water depths no higher than the floorboards. smile.gif

Not made to go in water over the floorboards? Who is looking at the floorboards when the mud is flying? Some rules are made to be broken I guess.

Well ... my Jeep is made to be driven primarily on Pavement .. doesnt mean I keep it there... or in water shallower than my floorboards when needed(or wanted).

Ever stop and wonder how many of the people producing some of the arguements even own an ATV or have any real experience off road? (Comment is not meant toward anyone directly, an definately not Dave)

[This message has been edited by Fisher Dave (edited 01-15-2004).]

I myself have a Honda Foreman 450ES and my dad have a Sportsman 500. I know that mine has more power than his even though his motor in bigger. With the 500 it takes so many RPM's just to get the machine moving you lose a lot of your engines power that way. Mine I tap the throttle and the power in to the wheels. Dads has never had problems but it doesn't have that many miles either. One other think I don't like about his is the indepent suspension while it is nice to ride when ever you hook anything with tounge weight on the hitch it squats so low you pretty much drag the trailer on the ground. I have the shocks stops adjust all the way up and it still does this. Mine while it ride rougher there is no squating in mine. I know polaris make models with out the indepented but it is just another thing that I dislike about his. I do like the push button AWD that polaris has. Honda is adding that to some models but mine doesn
t have it not a hugh deal though.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]