• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thanks for tearing up Silver Lake guys!

mtheis

I know the bad guys are impeding upon your rights. I understand that you want a place to ride. I feel your pain. I also just drove past Silver Lake in North St. Paul and witnessed the destruction of an ATV on the wetland area next to the boat landing. You will see perfect tire marks that could of only been made by a 4 wheeler who was driven by a guy who just don't give a dump.

If I was a landowner and you tore up my frontage property like that, well, I would find ways to make it your last drive on my land.

No more crying, police yourselves! Your time of unfettered access is ending believe me. You guys don't know how pretty that was this summer.

I am sorry for what some one-who-thinks-I-am-silly did to the Silver Lake landing, but how can you be so sure it wasn't a small 4x4 truck or even a car for that matter?
As for your finding ways to make it some ones last ride, if you ever did any thing to me or my familly I would own every single thing you have and smile all the way to the bank while you sat in Prison.

It is a felony to place any type of"booby trap" to hurt any one who you deem to cause trouble.

We do try to police our own, but the people who do things like that are either to young to do any thing to legaly or they are to devious to do it while any one can get thier license number.

Believe me if I see some clown ripping up any wet land, they will be seeing a CO or a county sharrif.I always carry a cell phone and paper to write on.Also carry a digital camera while fishing or hunting.

It is too bad that there are people out there who wantanly destroy some thing, but it is worst to here a person belittle them selves to say they are going to make it some ones last ride.
If you have a problem with some thing like this, go on and speak up.But don't come onto this forum and threaten to hurt some one.

Benny

What kind of a law is it when the DNR can tell you that you can't ride through a wet area on your land??? Thats communist!!!! I will ride through any wet spot on MY land if Thats what I want to do!!! Whats next the DNR will make a law that says you can't ride your ATV on monday, wednsday, and friday???? And maybe no riding between the hours of 11:00am and 2:00pm???? It would'nt suprise me in the least!! There are some good laws and some bad. I will continue to follow the laws on public land, but as for my land I make the laws!!!

shad,

I believe there are laws now in place that do not allow you to turn a wheel in a wetland on your own property.

Wetlands do serve a purpose in the world (i.e. wildlife rearing, water filtration). I think you have more respect for your own property than to turn a serviceable wetland into a mudhole. I don't like the government intervening in the management of my land anymore than you, but this intiative does have some merit. However, it's part of a larger intiative that seems to want to put ATVers on the same shelf as poachers. We should all try to work together in raising the public's opinion of ATVing. The vast majority of us are not outlaws. Let's educate our ranks in responsible ATV use through example and mentorship. Through those types of effort, we'll gain the general public's acceptance as an outdoor pursuit full of clean enjoyment and merit.

------------------
Ray Esboldt
MarCum
Stone Legacy

I too own an ATV and a section of woods up north so I do have some perspective but this thread is nothing but ammunition for the anti-ATV types.

One person intends to "make it someone's last ride on his land", the next intends "to own every single thing you have" and the last finds the DNR regulations, right or wrong, "communist".

Rational thought is what we need, not inflammatory rhetoric that fuels the arguments of those that would like to eliminate the machine completely. You guys need to take a step back and calm down...

Your right Wave Runner, my mistake, I should calm down. It,s better if all of us sit quietly and let the DNR or government ram any law they want to pass right, right down our throats, and be quiet and except all of them. I appreciate you setting me straight.

------------------
"THE LANDING STRIP"

It's not the DNR who pass the laws. They just enforce them. It's their job. It is YOUR LEGISLATURE who passes the laws. If you have never talked to your legislature you have no right to complain. Become active in outdoor groups such as ATVAM to make sure your voice is heard.

I think we all know that the Legislature passes the laws, but I know from talking to a C.O. freind of mine that if some of the upper brass DNR want some kind of a law passed they kind of help push it along. I mean look at the law that passed about the C.O.'s not being able to enter a fish house without knocking, they DNR complained so much about it they got it reversed. I do belong to a ATV club, and I know quite a few other clubs that have written and called the capital and are trying to get the law,about not going through a wet area on there own land, changed back. And all they say is its unlikly it will change. Its like abortion. People across the nation favor pro-life by 78%. The law has'nt changed. I will continue to follow the laws on public land, but its still "MY" land, and thats my belief!!

------------------
"THE LANDING STRIP"

Very well put shadyzr, Wasn't pointing directly at you but all in general. If we keep buying them and riding them and telling them we need a place to ride, things will start to get better. There are more ride areas opening up yearly but not fast enough.

I saw a new add for Suzuki ATV's today, it actually encurages people to shred up the land.Why do all the manufactures have to place such damming adds?We all know where the state of ATV riding is going, but we are constantly pounded by adds to go out and buy one so we to can rip up the land as they show on television.

They should be made to post a warning that doing that on public lands will result in a fine or jail time.Even the street bike adds have to post some thing like they are driven on a closed test coarce by professional drivers.

Benny

Benny you hit it on the head there. People see this on tv and think that this is the way you are suppose to ride, they don't realize that those ads are on a test track some where. That and the fact that they don't have any respect for other peoples property. I own two machines and I belong to a club but I live in WI. so I haven't posted but I think you hit on some thing. Good luck

As far as the DNR and the legislature goes, you are correct, the DNR does not make laws, but they do lobby for them. Case in point is the upcoming push in the next legislative session for a ban on permanent tree stands.
Also, the DNR can make rules under the commissioners authority. Example is the "20 yard" rule on grouse hunting and motorized vehicles - it never went thru the legislature, it is a commissioners rule. I am not sure, but I believe the 11am to 2pm hours for ATVing during deer hunting season is also a commissioners rule, not a law - at least I was told that at one time.

later

River

Having some jackass run around the woods on his ATV while I'm hunting?

I would be dumbfounded. But it wouldn't surprise me.

One time while deer hunting I met a guy with his dogs who were going out grouse hunting. Two big dogs, and he's going to run them in the woods while there are a dozen serious deer hunters out there. I asked him what it feels like to be suicidal? He's got a season that lasts 3 months. Mine lasts 9 days. My point is, you spend enough time out in the outdoors, and the stupidity of people never surprises you.

Oh yeah....the City of North St. Paul police weren't too happy over the ATV damage on Silver Lake. They regularly patrol it now. I called them.

mtheis,

I have seen the damage that some id10t caused out at Silver Lake. I am glad you call the police. they need to be caught. A sain person knows that this area is a wetland area and is not to be disturbed.

Benny, NO it was not a car or a small 4x4 truck. They don't have a track pattern that small. Yes it is illegal to place booby traps, but the way you make it sound you are one of those riders. And I sure by what else you write you are not. Your Right that the manufacturers do not promote TREAD LIGHTLY slogan. I see it all the time I work in the industry.

As far as Riding you ATV through the woods all day during the deer season, watch who your talking to the person may be handicaped. My best friend is in a chair and needs it to get to his stand. That right he gets in the tree just like the rest of us. Ride before leagal shooting, from 11am to 2pm and after shooting.

Besides I really don't see the DNR doing much for us anyway. All they want to do is shut ATV's down completely. and collect fines. They outlawed riding in the ditches in Washington county as of Jan 1 2004. The biggest reason the grass got torn up infront of the county garage out by withrow. But they would never tell you that. Why are you wasting our tax dollars to put sod in a ditch only to have it washed away by heavy rain n e way.

I think I am babbling now. I'll say one last thing. Stop with the hostility and ride safe. Where a helmut. Stupid hurts. And if you bring you ATV in for service. Wash it good first. We hate working on them when they are packed with mud and such.

Your note about the accessability of the deer woods by handicap hunters is worthwhile. I would never fault anyone who needed to use ATV's for that. God bless them. My neighbor is a rather well known taxidermist who lost the use of his legs when he was a teenager. We love his work, and boy does he love to hunt and fish. If you live in North St. Paul, you would know him.

I did not say I was against the 11am to 2pm restriction to ATVs during deer season, I was just using that and the 20 yard rule as an example of the difference between a law that gets passed by the legislature and a commissioner's rule that is made by the DNR. Both have the force of law, but the commissioner's rules do not go thru our elected legislature.

Happy New Year to all,

River