• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Talk to the Counties about ditch riding

Dave

OK, we've seen Washington County ban ATVs from riding ditches. Other counties will be following I'm sure.

What are some things that you feel can be done to help solve the problem; either with riders and non riders?

My suggestion to a county board would be to close only the ditch portion that REALLY needs to be closed. All ditches do not have to be closed. There are also plenty of ATV Clubs that would like to help out in regards to this issue.

What would you say to the county board, and why?

Quite honestly, I don't know what I would say. I haven't seen much obvious ditch destruction. Sure the trails are noticeable, but the utter destruction claimed by some has not been apparent to me. And, if someone is going to say, "Are you blind? It's everywhere." All I can say is show me some proof. And other than the far northwestern parts of the state, I've been around almost all of it in the last two years.

Unfortunately, compromises are the fad nowadays in politics. I'd propose even or odd day riding as a compromise if it came down to it. I live in Ramsey County, so there aren't any ditch riding options here.

It's a hard question to answer when the other side's case is without fact in my eyes. Local politicians love to please the loudest voices when it has no personal ramifications.

------------------
Ray Esboldt
www.marcum.com

Ray, your input is right on the money.It is a tuff call, I have seen and personaly know people who have damage done to thier drive ways.

In some counties the resident is responsible for the up keep of thier ditch, but they are not allowed to haul dirt or rock in to repair the ditch it self.They can only repair the drive way slope.If the dirt or rock gets down into the ditch they can't recover it either.

So in my opinion the counties need to change as well, they need to let the owners repair the damage by recovering the soil that the ATV,OHV's have shifted off thier drive ways.

I also agree there has to be some compromise from the ATV crowd as well, and as Dave said there are clubs willing to help.Problem is, the anti ATV people won't give any one a chance to help, all they see is thier plan to ban the ATV.

Now for what I would suggest to a county board.
1)Let the owners have the right to reclaim the dirt and soil that gets tossed into the ditch right of way.

2)If needed and disscused by all parties involved ,block the troublesome areas only.

3)Look at any alternative routes, like on old RR tracks through the area,low maintantince roads,or the oposite side of the road if there is no housing on that side.

4)Give the land owners the contact info for any local clubs that are willing to help.Maybe they will set up a few weekends to go around and use thier utility ATV's to repair the damage.

5)Maybe a spring time as needed ban on ditch riding in the areas that are wet and soft.

6)Pass an ordanace with a heavey fine if caught destroying some land owners property.
I know this one would be hard to inforce, but maybe the scare along would curb some punk from ripping up his neighbors drive way approch.

Just my 2 cents.

Benny

[This message has been edited by Benny (edited 12-18-2003).]

Benny,

Agreed about the driveway deal. I've seen quite a few driveways that don't look so great due to ATVs and snowmobiles. I would be rather irritated if I were the owner.

Who pays for the damage? It's got to be the users. How do you get the money from the users? Voluntarily? You'd need a county club to take care of it. Do enough clubs exist? I don't know. Local clubs/organizations can be a good lobby in local politics. Individuals are not very good at swaying local politicians unless they are the loudest whiner.

------------------
Ray Esboldt
www.marcum.com

[This message has been edited by Ray Esboldt (edited 12-18-2003).]

Snowmobile Studs Guys, Not atv tire unless they are studed, most i could do with mine is lay a big smokie patch, but only in my own driveway. lol

------------------
ride safe, wear a helmut, stupid hurts

If you get'em serviced, wash'em first.:D

Well I didn't mean it to sound like I wanted the land owners to pay for it.The person I know who had an ATV rip across his dirt drive way was sitting there waiting for his buddy to catch up, as his buddy got right up to him he roosted across the drive way trying to spray his buddy.Pure dumb stupidity, but that is what he did.
My friend chased them down and asked why they did it and if they wanted to pay for the load of dirt he would have to haul in to replace the dirt roosted off his drive way.
The guy was a smart A.S.O.B but did go back and fix the damage.When I asked why he would have to haul more dirt in, Tim said it was because he would get the ticket if caught shoveling HIS dirt back onto his drive way.They are not allowed to do any thing for repairs or modification to a ditch in front of thier own property.

Now as for who should pay, the people who did it.But what if they never get caught, then it should be taken out ATV taxs we pay when we buy a machine, regester one or renew the licenses.We all pay for this stuff but it never gets used on ATV related items.Some of it goes to the geneal fund, some to the state, and the rest gets used on any recreational opertunity the DNR sees fit to use it for.Even the sled riders benifit from it, not so bad then but still not used on ATV issues.

The new law provides for some money to be used to repair ATV damage, as well as maintanance costs.The ATV clubs will organise a fund raiser to help pay as well, but no one ever askes for any help they simply start calling thier representatives to ban every motor vehical that isn't legal to use on public roads.

Benny

[This message has been edited by Benny (edited 01-01-2004).]