• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV trailer type?

JimJ

Looking for a trailer mainly to pull atv, and portable ice house in winter. Also will pull 2 ATV's in summer. Have been looking at Sled bed 8x10 tilt sled trailer or their 7x8 ramp side loader. Is a ramp trailer that much more convenient than tilt for winter operations?

As another poster stated in another thread, it does get difficult trying to load a wheeler on a tilted trailer. You can solve that by installing boards (as an example)across the trailer to provide "grip", as the trailer surface is often slippery.

The side loaders are a little more money I believe.

Triton makes a pretty nice V-nose sled trailer (8x10) with a ramp that you can drive on drive off. it's also pretty lite to pull. Check them out! I think you'll like it better then a tilt trailer.Plus on an ice day you won't go through your tailgate with your Atv. smile.gifTriton make a 102" wide and I think a 98" wide one which makes it nice with two large atv side by side. Good luck.

I use an older steel 8x10 trailer, it has tilt but I don't use it.I prefer the ramps, but my biggest beef with the trailer is that it is too narrow for two ATV's with big wheel kits.I think the new trailers are a couple of inches wider,the side loader may be a good chice as well.

Most of the big name companies like Triton, SledBed, and Flowmaster all have web sites with good detailed pictures of ATV trailers.
Check them out to get an idea as to how they look loaded up.

Benny

One thing to watch for on side loading trailers like the one from triton. After you load your machine and swing the side ramps up into place, if your ATV is equipped with a winch that sticks out front, maybe a rear bumper that sticks out the back, the trailer width with ramps in the up position may not be wide enough.
My Triton side loader's ramps scrape my front and rear of the ATV.

Take a look at the Aluma trailers. Do a search on them and you should find their HSOforum. I've had mine for 2 years now and love it. I pull at Polaris sportsman 500 with my Otter magnum that sits behind the ATV. It has a rear gate that folds up an down in about 5 seconds. The best thing about an aluminum trailer is it's light and will never rust out. Over the years if it's left outside it will start to build a little corrosion on it, but if you take it to any trucker stop that washes big rigs you can get an acid bath done on it which removes all corrosion and makes your trailer look brand new again.

Just my .02

I just picked up a 4x6 trailer, at nothern tools, it is a tilt trailer, but with the 4 wheel drive on my wheeler I can just drive it up without the trailer being tilted, it fits one wheeler great, then I take it off the back of my truck and haul my stuff out to the lake, works so slick you wouldn't believe it.

Get the triton side loaded, one of the best on the market. Aluma is not a very good trailer. tap the side of it it goes thunk, cheap aluminum. triton goes ting, good aircraft grade aluminum.

------------------
ride safe, wear a helmut, stupid hurts

If you get'em serviced, wash'em first.:D