• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What to do in Hayward for a few hours...

Hi Everyone,

My wife has to run up to Hayward on Friday for work, and I thought I'd go with her so we can head straight to the cabin when she's done.

Any suggestions on how to spend a few hours entertaining myself while she's working?

I've been to the fishing hall of fame, so anything other than that would be great.

I'll have the dogs in the car and would love to take them for a walk..any good trails or parks?

Any good diners/bars to grab a bite that has wifi?

Any fun historic sites to go see?

Any other good ideas of what I can do in beautiful Hayward?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Hi Everyone,

My wife has to run up to Hayward on Friday for work, and I thought I'd go with her so we can head straight to the cabin when she's done.

Any suggestions on how to spend a few hours entertaining myself while she's working?

I've been to the fishing hall of fame, so anything other than that would be great.

I'll have the dogs in the car and would love to take them for a walk..any good trails or parks?

Any good diners/bars to grab a bite that has wifi?

Any fun historic sites to go see?

Any other good ideas of what I can do in beautiful Hayward?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Well the town is full of "Gift shops" you could go to. grin There use to be a really great meat store there with a lot of things to sample and pick out?

There's a nice fudge/candy store downtown with all the old-school stuff. An old-fashion dairy/ice cream store. Bunch of good restaurants in that strip. Not a bad place to kill a few hours without getting that "toursit-trap" feeling, especially off-season. Gotta be a city park or something there. Our place is just an hour north so we hit it once a year usually. Plus, in Hayward, November is WAY better than July.

The Angry Minnow has some decent Brews and food. My cabin is 25 north of Hayward so I get there once in awhile. We usually go to the original Famous Dave's on Big Round Lake. Otherwise we are there to pick up some groceries or supplies. Been going there since 1970 so the tourist stuff is long gone from my system. Can only go to the freshwater hall of fame so many times.

Mwal

There's a bar that was once owned by I believe Louis Spray that was or is the World Record Musky holder. Free salt in the shell peanuts and everything. I believe its on the main drag south side of road.

Talkin about the Moccasin Bar? I've not been in there yet but had made it a point to stop in during my next musky hunt (hopefully next weekend but who knows).

Looks like an interesting place to say the least smile

Angry Minnow is a good choice, also Anglers on Main Street has good food and a lot of TVs (should be some kind of sports on) and it wouldn't surprise me if they have wifi. As far as taking the dogs for a walk, there's some open spots around town like the golf course and the area just south of their sports complex behind the schools there. Also the landing on Lake Hayward, from there there's a road that's blocked off that leads to the public beach. They'll be no one around this time of year and your dogs would have room to run.

Wow, thanks so much for the suggestions. Sounds like I'm looking at 3-4 hours on my own, so I should be able to fill the time.

Question: I was up there snowmobiling a few years back and it seems to me that we stumbled upon an old estate with a long driveway and was surrounded by a large, long rock wall. It was described as an old gangster hideout or something. Does that ring a bell with anyone? Is that open for tours? I looked but couldn't find any info on it.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the suggestions.

I think you're talking about The Hideout, Al Capone's old retreat. Not sure if it's open or not but it's on County Rd CC east of Hayward.

Yeah, that's it. I see that it closed to the public in 2009. Too bad, I love going to stuff like that.

Thanks again for input. We ended up having lunch at The Angry Minnow and it was good overall. Had a variety of stuff and shared it..pretty good stuff.

Dropped my wife off and went to the public landing behind the Hall of Fame. You were right..no one was there at all. Let the dogs run around the park for about an hour and get a drink. Took a quick spin around town and it was time to head back. Picked up my wife and we were off.

Thanks again, I got to know the town a bit more and have some spots to go the next time we're there.

As has been previously suggested...Phipps!

Wow, is that place still there? It wasn't much more than a rundown shack when I was last in the area grin I remember asking a waitress where the bathroom was, she pointed to the floor smirk