• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's it worth?

Melon

I found a 1994 Polaris 400 for sale. Only starts by manual pull. I'm guessing it's just a bad starter. How difficult would it be to find parts? The odometer/speedometer is dead also. Could be the guage or the cable, I'm not too concerned about that.

I don't want to pay more then it's worth.

How reliable are these machines (considering the age). I would be using it very minimally. My primary use would be for ice fishing so I want to be sure it'll start in cold temps.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I appologize for posting such a broad question. It's my lack of knowledge of ATV's that got me here to begin with.

I beleive there are 1000 mi before the speedo went out. I'm not sure how long it's been out. It looks to be in pretty good shape, used obviously but it does not look like it was beat on! I'm going to take a closer look and give it a test run tomorrow evening. What should I look for?

Melon, machines are only reliable as well as they're maintained. This is a good time of year to see how it starts in cold weather. After you're in four wheel drive, switch out of four wheel drive and see if the front hubs unlock automatically ok; if one doesn't, the machine will pull to the right or left. Check how clean the air cleaner is. Check to see if the zerk fittings have some lube on them (to indicate it may have been recently lubed). Check the clutch cover for any cracks or visual signs that riders were resting their feet on top of it. Check for play in the handlebars when turning. You'll be able to tell if it's been abused by the way it looks.

Although I have never owned a Polaris, I have been around quite of few of them. Personally I think they are not very reliable, especially the older ones. If I was you and I was looking for a good used machine I would look at a Honda or Yamaha, perferably a Honda.

pkimman,

Thanks for the reply, however you are too late. I purchased the Polaris 400L. I have heard some poor things about them but also knew that I could probably run into the same problems with other machines. When I went to check it out, I was very pleased when it started on the second pull (starters out). It had been sitting in the cold for a while without having been started for some time. I thought that was a plus.

I drove it and ran through the large list of items I had to look at. Everything seemed to check out just fine. I feel that this machine has not been abused and looked to be in pretty good shape (knock on wood). I like to think I'm mechanically inclined so if somethings goes wrong I should be able to fix it. Like the starter, I just need to find a good place to pick up parts for cheap. Anyone no where to go?

Thank you for all or you input.

There's Dan's Snowmobile and ATV Salvage in Clarrisa. That might be a little far, but it looks like you can order parts online or at least check if they have them.

I want to say there's a place up on Hwy. 10 around the Anoka or Ramsey area that is a snowmobile and ATV salvage yard. I just cannot remember the name of it. I am pretty sure I found it in the phone book once.

------------------
-----------
Ray Esboldt
www.marcum.com

Ray, I think I know where the place is your thinking of. It's closer to Zimmerman/Elk River though if I remember correctly.

Dave, I will for sure be pulling the starter before looking to replace it. You could be right about the mud. When I try to use electric start I can hear the arm fire out but it doesn't sound like the teeth are grabbing, like there aren't any.

Thanks for all the replies.