• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How to make spear tine barbs?

WRD

I currently in a drafting program and decided to draft up a design for a spear which I'm able to have the toolroom students make the components (handle, base and tines) and the welding teacher is willing to use it as a teaching tool of how to properly align components when welding. My problem is how to have the barbs made or put on? For those out there who have made your own spears can you help me with ideas or suggestions on this? Thanks.

When we build a spear, we weld a small piece of flat stock to each and shape it and smooth it out with a grinder. We thought of doing it the way Jentz says, but that does weaken the tines somewhat... not that a tine would break, but thats what we do. Don't know where my bro got the flat, but its like 1/8- 1/4- 1/2" long. Good luck

The old blacksmiths would make tines that were seperate and then forge welded to a backbone ,or the top of the spear where the handle would be fastened. They used old hay or manure forks and key stock for the tines. to shape the barbs they would cut the keystock or fork tine about 1 in. longer than it needed to be. Then they would heat one end, about 1 1/2 in. of the tine or keystock, when red hot they would stand the keyst. or tine on end, red end up, and srike it with a hammer, this would mushroom out that end, then reheat the piece and rough shape the barb with a hammer, then it was all file and grinder work to the finished tine.

The old blacksmiths would make tines that were seperate and then forge welded to a backbone ,or the top of the spear where the handle would be fastened. They used old hay or manure forks and key stock for the tines. to shape the barbs they would cut the keystock or fork tine about 1 in. longer than it needed to be. Then they would heat one end, about 1 1/2 in. of the tine or keystock, when red hot they would stand the keyst. or tine on end, red end up, and srike it with a hammer, this would mushroom out that end, then reheat the piece and rough shape the barb with a hammer, then it was all file and grinder work to the finished tine.

that's what I do on the center tine it takes about an hour and a lot more work then it sounds and at red hot it wouldn't do a thing it needs to be yellow hot just under white hot way over red,and when upsetting the red end is always down, not up. Forge welding I haven't mastered so I try to stay away from that, lol!

I started a stainless steel spear and took the same round stock that I formed the tines out of and heated, flattened formed and then welded to the tines then ground them and then welded again the spots that were low and reground and shaped.

I will post a couple of pics later.

Thanks for the comments, definitely gave me some ideas. Will post a picture when the spear is done. Sounds like I will have to wait a couple weeks to get it thru the tool shop and welding but looking forward to testing it out.

Nice looking spear. I like the idea of tig welding the tines as a lot of heat doesn't usually help metal hold its strength.

they get hot tig welding too, but there are ways to harden that steel or tips.

Like using kasenit to case harden it.

Dorkfish, I went with your idea with the barbs and here's the spear I designed and had made. The tines go into the head of the spear a half inch, the welded. Same with the handed. Finally I had the spear powder coated. Can't wait to try it out.

full-14897-40515-2013_12_19_15_35_37_27.