• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Waterfowl Photos

Wanderer well done those are some of the nicest colorations in waterfowl I have seen in a long time! You have yourself some great mounts there My question is did you go through a outfitter guided or was it a freelance hunt? Looks like a bucket list trip I might have to look into the scenery is amazeing and the variety of birds you harvested is astonishing. Argentina was always one our group talked about but this definaately is more realistic. 

@IceHawk

My buddy I’m with is a guide and plans to start booking trips out here.  This trip was a trial run that he asked me to help him with.  How could I pass up an opportunity to help a friend, eh?!

We’ve both put a lot of time in researching the areas we’re hunting.  He has vast experience with all ducks, including sea ducks and is a registered guide in Maine and has his Captain’s license.  His ability to handle salt water travel is amazing.  He reads it like a book and really knows how to handle tides wind and “bigger than we shoulda been in” waves.  I’ve been doing the on the fly navigation and real time research of access rules.  They’re VERY complicated out here!  So, to answer your question, it’s both guided and freelance.  We wouldn’t have made the progress we have without our partnered effort.  

We’re getting dialed in though after a week.  Some days we set up 6-8 times, and then another only twice.  Fill the gas tanks on the boat every day and the truck about every third.  

It’s been a lot of work but oh so much fun!  

Thanks Wanderer.  I agree a person has to jump on a opportunity like that for sure. Wow that has to be rewarding but hard work and research usually  pay didvedends. Those seas ducks really intrigue me but your right better have you ducks in a row if your going to tackle that kind of water. Best of luck looking forward to reading more of your adventure. 

Well we’re done as of today.  Grilled up some birds again this afternoon.  Nom, nom...

We got crowded this morning by the weekenders on our first choice spot for puddle ducks so we made a move to get on some buffies in particular.  I love those little guys for looks, shooting sport and taste!  Ended on high note.

B9A8D305-50BF-4EA5-84CF-015A0F539396.thumb.jpeg.dbacd334e0e3f74a9fb41401cbc4cd10.jpeg

Very wet morning but we had a nice departing view.

F89AD73F-5E67-4AE1-A2C1-D28F37ACF758.thumb.jpeg.d7fda4330c644dd3972814c5440a2902.jpeg

Thanks for following and the comments. ?

I guess the adventure wasn’t over until we got through the mountains!

We drove through snow on the way out but only a couple inches on the ground.  Things changed in a week!  Pass closed to oversized loads and chains required for other commercial trucks. Banks as tall as a 1 ton pickup!

FA84C103-17B0-4FE3-9077-9CAC8B7363C6.thumb.jpeg.6b9a91abe2583c8d8c0e2e66306d46e4.jpeg

7AADF6B1-8FEB-4425-AD15-4D069634B0EF.thumb.jpeg.055c9521b69816f219aea52aab6f945d.jpeg

25D09D5C-458D-40FF-A9BD-779F0FBE522A.thumb.jpeg.07ea98a201a96a1291e640e8b19e0f03.jpeg

57401DB6-0C9E-4FB6-AC96-3CDB400B82DD.thumb.jpeg.9fcdc6f43920b500e0ea4b73bd021cf3.jpeg

so Kettle......how do you cook them flying turds!!!!!!!!!🤭🤔

kinda just kidding, my family wont touch them but i dont mind eating waterfowl. my brother made something on  the line of stroganoff and was pretty good!!!!!!

10 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

Started the day more damm swans. They decoy stupid easy.  Just have to shoo them off with some yelling and occasional shot.

just have to be there for the right hour.

Them sit and watch while you wait for other stuff.

Then paddle in.

201E3BF9-A1F5-4ED7-8FC6-8D7482DB8740.thumb.jpeg.e185d6fa9168d730a8373d0094bd13fa.jpeg

Why are you putting those silly big decoys out if you don't want silly big white birds you can't shoot in the way?  🤪

Edited by leech~~

7 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Why are you putting those silly big decoys out if you don't want silly big white birds you can't shoot in the way?  🤪

Because stale ducks and geese get a little more confident when there’s damm swans in the area and not just a bunch of typical duck decoy spreads.  Plus they can be seen from a long way away so I don’t have to use a spinning wing decoy like everyone else to get their attention.

I changed my early season spread from 2.5 - 3 dozen duck decoys to 2 swans and 4 geese and am getting better shots on diver ducks than using straight duck spreads.

The 2 others that I’m with hunted all day and came back with 2 ducks.  I hunted the morning with them, took lunch with my wife, explored some county land, took a nap, then went back out on my own and shot my limit.

Duck hunters do whatever they think they need to for an edge. 😜

59 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

Because stale ducks and geese get a little more confident when there’s damm swans in the area and not just a bunch of typical duck decoy spreads.  Plus they can be seen from a long way away so I don’t have to use a spinning wing decoy like everyone else to get their attention.

I changed my early season spread from 2.5 - 3 dozen duck decoys to 2 swans and 4 geese and am getting better shots on diver ducks than using straight duck spreads.

The 2 others that I’m with hunted all day and came back with 2 ducks.  I hunted the morning with them, took lunch with my wife, explored some county land, took a nap, then went back out on my own and shot my limit.

Duck hunters do whatever they think they need to for an edge. 😜

Wow, is this where I post a "triggered" meme? 😆

Looks like you have been doing very well no matter what kind of blocks you've thrown into the pond! 👍

I too was up doing a little scouting. Maybe you can guess the area smurfy should?  Lunch at the Anchorage Inn was a winner and loser! 😆

20221029_132943.jpg

20221029_110614.jpg

Edited by leech~~

22 hours ago, smurfy said:

so Kettle......how do you cook them flying turds!!!!!!!!!🤭🤔

kinda just kidding, my family wont touch them but i dont mind eating waterfowl. my brother made something on  the line of stroganoff and was pretty good!!!!!!

It's all about prep. Clean them, trim fat, soak in salt water. I often use barbacoa sauce and make tacos or I bring them to the butcher for sticks

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

Wow, is this where I post a "triggered" meme? 😆

Looks like you have been doing very well no matter what kind of blocks you've thrown into the pond! 👍

I too was up doing a little scouting. Maybe you can guess the area smurfy should?  Lunch at the Anchorage Inn was a winner and loser! 😆

20221029_132943.jpg

20221029_110614.jpg

🤣😂 i'll have to level that chair out thursday when i go through!!!!!!!