• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Waterfowl Photos

Ha ha ha!!!!! You're a good Dad, Mr.Caswell!

Hate it more when those doggone birds dive and don't come back up!!! mad Such a waste.

It's more of a training issue with the dogs " coming in empty is a bad thing" I'm guessing there is a Eagle out there tonight that has a full belly on our behalf, nothing goes to waste..

You can make ANY game bird taste OK in a Stick, Brat, or summer sausage, but when treated like a fine Beef Steak, it's tough to tell a Coot from a Mallard....

And most toss them in the trash but a Coot has a HUGE Gizzard......

I'm skeptical..........lol

If they were at all edible, other than in some gumbo , there would be boatloads of them being shot.

chub its just a stigma thing nothing more nothing less. Just like why most people wont eat bass or whatever. Just becuase your grampa told your dad who told you that bass, coot, bullhead, whatever are terrible then you think that. Big pet peeve of mine. Ive cleaned a couple coots and they are no different in color than any duck breast and they all go in the jerky bag anyways so you couldnt tell the difference even if u tried. Same goes for deep fried walleye and bass or whatever. Again you cant tell the difference even if u tried. Think outside the box guy, dont be a follower. Now as far as sport goes, yes no doubt a coot is a dumber and much easier bird to shoot a ton of then say a mallard or other ducks.

chub its just a stigma thing nothing more nothing less. Just like why most people wont eat bass or whatever. Just becuase your grampa told your dad who told you that bass, coot, bullhead, whatever are terrible then you think that. Big pet peeve of mine. Ive cleaned a couple coots and they are no different in color than any duck breast and they all go in the jerky bag anyways so you couldnt tell the difference even if u tried. Same goes for deep fried walleye and bass or whatever. Again you cant tell the difference even if u tried. Think outside the box guy, dont be a follower. Now as far as sport goes, yes no doubt a coot is a dumber and much easier bird to shoot a ton of then say a mallard or other ducks.

Fhg.....

Stigma's are what keep us seperated from the savages. Lol

Never shot, let alone thought about eating a coot. Just as I've never been hungry enough to eat(or attempt to), a merganser. I grew up eating Smallmouths, my old man chopped up and fried every one he could get his hands on. I know what they taste like, and I nearly gag at the thought..... .lol

Chub -

You eat bluebills, buffs, and goldies? Same as a merg... Trust me.

I don't like the taste of any of the above unless they are eaten fresh and cooked to medium rare.

As for the guy that can't tell the difference between deep fried bass and walleye... that's ok, there are "tasters" and "non-tasters"

I eat all kinds of odd stuff and it all has a definite flavor. There's a reason mergs aren't on the preferred list of most people. They ain't that good and it takes some serious effort & appreciation of strong flavor to make them edible.

Eating jerky or sausage doesn't exactly represent the flavor of the beast...

I took all my ducks from ND and had them made into sweet and sassy stix at Dehmers in St Michael.

14 lbs of breasts total.

$3.50 a lb as well. Pork mixed in. Not sure how they did it for that price, but I dont care. they turned out fantastic.

They will make any flavor you want. Just has to be a full batch(25 lbs is a full batch, before the weight lost after smoking).

I got 17 lbs of stix to take home at $3.50 a lb.