• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cold starting

fishing addict

I purchased a Suzuki vinson earlier this year and have had trouble starting it in the cold so far. I engaged the choke fully as instructed. It would take 5-10 attempts before it starts but would die immediately. once I get it started and bring the choke back half way it dies. It dies also if I open the throttle any. I had it warmed up 10 minutes this morning and it still died when I brought the choke back half way. any thoughts/ thanks.

I would take it back to the dealer if your still under warranty .. it sounds to me like choke or carb problems. Before you bring it in be sure there is no mud or debris anywhere that could restrict any externally moving parts on your carb, or ice in your cables that could keep the choke from backing off, or your throttle from releasing.

One other thing it could be is ice in the carb. Some fuels do not contain ethanol and are more prone to freeze. A little heet in the tank can go a long ways.

thanks Dave. I brought back to the dealer today. Are there any adjustments I can make to have an atv start and run better in the cold. the service guy told me they could not legally adjust anything but I wonder if I could do it on my own. I use mine for ice fishing only and would love not to have to deal with this problem much.

F.A. I have two vinson and never had much of a problem on cold starting. Just leave the choke fully engaged for a few minutes till it's warmed up. You could maybe turn up the idle a little bit. But if it is still under warrenty I would take it back in. I got mine at Wild River Cycle in Grantsburg, WI they took good care of me. Good luck

I never thought of the primer ... my machines dont have them ... if yours has one, that would explain a lot.

Other than that, a machine that is running and tuned properly should have no problem starting in the coldest weather. In this situation it is a new (or neary) machine.. there is no excuse ... you paid good money for that machine, the dealer and manufacturer is responsible to be sure you are getting what you paid for(dependable machine).

I dont know if I would recommend turning up the idle.. It may help some with preventing the machine to die as much when its still below ideal operating temps, but on the down side, it could leave you much more prone to flood the machine if its not firing properly, burn more fuel, foul plugs faster, and on machines with *engine brakes* .. lose the *jake brake* style braking.... I'm not sure if suzuki has this, my new yamaha does. A high idle on many machines will also cause problems when shifting and will cause unneccesary wear on your machine.

thanks for the replies guys. I got a call that my machine is ready but have not picked it up yet. I have re-read the manual and the machine has a Prime setting recommended for cold startting. It also says not to leave it on this setting when the machine is off. Otherwise it may flood the carburator and damage the engine or cause a fire with when starting it again. This has me a little leary about using this setting since I may not always remember to reset after starting it in the Prime setting. I will try your ideas when I pick up my atv and give you guys an update. thanks again.

One other question, what oil do you guys use in the winter?

fa,

Don't the Suzuki's run synthetic right out of the showroom? If they don't, I'd talk to the dealer and see if it's acceptable to run it as far as the warranty is concerned. Synthetic stays thin in the cold and aids in startup. Plus your engine is lubed from the first crank of the starter.