• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Honda comparable to Big Bear

Hey guys I'm new to this end of the forums. KInda getting into four wheelin. And purchasing one.
I find the yamaha big bear to be a good machine and like everything about it except for its lack of top end. I havn't made my way into a dealer ship yet. I just want to know what honda has comparable to the Big Bear 4x4

All of the new 4x4's have a very similar top speed to my knowledge ... the biggest difference between a 450 kodiak and a 660 Grizzly is how long it takes to get there. I own the 450 and it has more than enough power and torque for any of my needs... and aquires freeway speeds without a problem.

If you are looking for nothing but speed .. get a quad, if you are looking for an all around machine that is good in the snow and mud, I highly recommend going with a 4x4, and also a machine with differential lock. There is no comparison to a standard *4x4*(or 3x4) to a machine with the differential lock (true 4x4). The 4x yamaha machines all convert from 2x to 4x to differential lock with the push of a button as far as I know.

"There is no comparison to a standard *4x4*(or 3x4) to a machine with the differential lock (true 4x4). "

Tell that to my brother when my Rincon has to hook up to his Grizz. LOL I have yet to see where the "true 4x4", or lack thereof, has left me stranded.

As far as a Honda comparable with the BigBear....I would have to say the 450 Foreman or the 350 Rancher. One has a little more power, the other a little less. Both have semi-auto trans, air cooled, swing-arm type rear suspension. If you are looking for top end, none of these machines are for you. You will need to buy into the "displacement wars" to get in the 65mph range.

The Reason I stray from the foreman and rancheris because its all time 4x4 (right?) I want manual shifting, and 2x4/4x4. Am I looking for a machine that doesn't exist?

the new foremans you can get manual shift and it will also shift out of all wheel drive, not so sure on the new ranchers but i think that they also now can be shifted out of all wheel drive and i know you can get a manual shift in those(have 3 around the farm).

I have ridden with older big bears and the only difference i can see is that the rancher has alittle more ground clearance, otherwise either choice would be great.

happy buying..