• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hitch for the ATV/Portable

RJ

I have my Polaris 500 HO and my Fish Trap Guide. What I need is a hitch between the two. I now use rope, within PVC pipe. It works, but I'd like to upgrade. Schappell have a "universal" hitch for $20. They tell me about a "quick connect" or "easy hookup" to the Trap. How's it work? Good system? I like to load pretty heavy. Is it a good system?

Thanks for any help.

Does anyone know about the"quick connect" that RJ mentioned? I see the universal hitch made by clam corp, but there is nothing on the "coupler" end to hook to ATV and or Snowmobile. Does anyone make an adapter of some sort for a hitch like this?

Thanks,
Shake'em

There's a thread called "Tow Hitch For Fish Trap" in the ice fishing main forum. I put a post in there describing some home-made tow bars I use for my FishTrap and atv. Maybe that idea will work for you. Good luck.

This may sound hokey but I just looped about 6" of rope through the connector. It loops over my ball hitch with ease. And if I were to catch anything with the fish house (quickflip 3) the rope will break before the fish house. Last week I was going about 20 mph accross a lake when the house started comming around faster than I could react. When it caught the tire chains, the rope just unlooped itself and the house got away which was a good thing. Otherwise it could have got caught up in the cains and been a real mess.

I've been out a few times, and I think it's a winner. I did stretch the bar, tough. Thought it was too short, to avoid tangling with the rear wheels. I had a piece of steel bar about 18" long. Added it between the clevis hitch and the yoke. It is now long enough to miss the wheels in a turn. I was concerned when on glare ice in the wind. The trap slid a bit, and was close to catching on the rear wheel. It didn't, and I think I'm quite glad it didn't. All in all, it works well.